Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Fireflies

Memories of my very early childhood flooded back tonight as I watched fireflies fluttering about. Did anyone else capture them briefly in a jar to watch them? It must be one of my earliest memories.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 07:29 PM

Re: Fireflies

Never seen them Ania except on TV
There was a fabulous clip of them (it was China or Japan) the children went down to the beach area held out their fingers and the flies would perch on them, it was a superb sight to behold as the night was lit up by their dance
It was one time I didn't 'scream'
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 07:31 PM

I saw some in Switzerland some 60 years ago but I've never seen them in this country.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 07:35 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a firefly either

Are they found in certain climates?
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 07:52 PM

I've never seen one either - feel like I've missed out on something wonderful.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Yes.. I recall capturing fireflies. Its a bug that sparked my imaginations in many ways
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 10:32 PM

Not sure but Glow-Worms , still a Beetle turn up here and have noticed them in other areas of the country, but as far as I am aware they do not fly, but still nice to see.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Never seen a firefly but vividly remember finding glowworms in the lane - about 30 years ago - but haven't seen them since. I seem to think that that was on a summer evening. Are fireflies whizzing about at this time of the year in Ireland?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetsue ->
Never seen a firefly but vividly remember finding glowworms in the lane - about 30 years ago - but haven't seen them since. I seem to think that that was on a summer evening. Are fireflies whizzing about at this time of the year in Ireland?
No, not in Ireland but in Madagascar.

I guess my original post was aimed at our US members. I spent my very early years in Pennsylvania and it was there that we used to catch fireflies in jars to watch them closely. We always released them after a few minutes, though.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top