Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 12:47 AM

When 'friends' attack, how do you react ?

A conversation this evening, with an ex military friend, instigated a discussion about the verbal aggression of one of our mutual friends ... a female.

As a person who is unused to sudden aggressive behaviour and can usually stand back/detach and observe, I wonder how others deal with these occasions.

I find that if the person is insignificant in my life, it doesn't bother me and I will agree with them and smile, or calmly answer their observations. The problems belong to them and I find that interesting.

My military friend agreed to a certain extent, but I think if it's male to male, I get that it can be a different problem
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 12:54 AM

Re: When 'friends' attack, how do you react ?

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
A conversation this evening, with an ex military friend, instigated a discussion about the verbal aggression of one of our mutual friends ... a female.

As a person who is unused to sudden aggressive behaviour and can usually stand back/detach and observe, I wonder how others deal with these occasions.

I find that if the person is insignificant in my life, it doesn't bother me and I will agree with them and smile, or calmly answer their observations. The problems belong to them and I find that interesting.

My military friend agreed to a certain extent, but I think if it's male to male, I get that it can be a different problem

That is very true Rachel.

To me, how I would deal with it would probably depend on several things.

1. Who it was that was being aggressive.
2. What mood it caught me in at the time.
3. Whether I felt their argument was reasonable or not.
4. Whether they were always a gobby old so-and-so , or was it completely out of character.

It's not straightforward.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 01:05 AM

At times like this, I dont rise to it as it could backfire on you if what you said was repeated. I don't get involved and try and change the subject or just stare at them as they gabble on!! They soon burn themselves out!!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 01:06 AM

I've personally never had a friend be verbally aggressive towards myself.
If they did, I like to think I would tell them to talk to me when they're calmer, and walk away.
Once upon a time I probably would've been a blubbering fool, but now I can't be bothered with that stuff. Life really is too short!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 01:16 AM

Is it necessarily different for men ? is there ALWAYS testosterone floating about ?
My military friend, although agreeing with me, has a different stance as to how to deal with 'men' but I guess his military training would come into play.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 01:16 AM

Sometimes, you have to ask yourself...Why are they so aggressive and actually, quite pity them. It could be many reasons.. Life changing tragedy, Bitterness, Illness, Hormones, or basically they are just obnoxious!!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

09-12-2015, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Sometimes, you have to ask yourself...Why are they so aggressive and actually, quite pity them. It could be many reasons.. Life changing tragedy, Bitterness, Illness, Hormones, or basically they are just obnoxious!!
Lol ... yes .. see my original post regarding the insignificance of the people who pass through my life

I find people fascinating and 'enjoy' looking at their psyche
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

09-12-2015, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Is it necessarily different for men ? is it their testosterone floating about ?
My military friend, although agreeing with me, had a different stance as to how to deal with 'men' but I guess his military training would come into play.
I think, Rachel, sometimes we read too much into things, where everything has to be analysed. I find sometimes, it's just best to let go! As lovemyboys says.. Life is too short!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2015, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think, Rachel, sometimes we read too much into things, where everything has to be analysed. I find sometimes, it's just best to let go! As lovemyboys says.. Life is too short!
This (the bolded part). One hundred times this!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

09-12-2015, 01:32 AM

I was really hoping for some male input !

My post/thread was an observation.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top