Join for free
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 08:23 AM

Its a Miracle

A herd of cows was washed away in the floods at Kendal, 43 survived out of a herd of 45, one found 20miles away chewing the cud on a golf course fairway.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...d-cows-6982226
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 09:50 AM

Re: Its a Miracle

Yes heard about it. Nice to hear good news out of the floods.
I think they survived because of their build but also they are
all pregnant and as you might know females fight for their children
and especially when pregnant.
I know I did.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I think they survived because of their build but also they are
all pregnant and as you might know females fight for their children
and especially when pregnant.
I know I did.
I witnessed a cows 'mother love' when I was out walking one day. We were walking by a section of river that had barbed wire fencing - to keep the cows from going in the river I assume. Anyway on the other side of the river - all alone was this calf crying. it's mother thundered down from where she was grazing, scattered all the walkers and with no regard for the barbed wire she just blundered through it and swam over to get to her calf on the other side..

It was very touching to see..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 10:09 AM

I heard this story on the radio and an interview with the owner who was delighted to say the least. What am amazing thing that all the cows in the herd survived .

A lot of farmers were not so lucky and many other animals perished including a herd of goats and many flocks of sheep..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 11:05 AM

I said about this early on in the flood posts. I said what will the farmers do about the horses, sheep and cattle. The sheep will all be pregnant now, and when their fleeces get waterlogged it weighs them down badly, some can't get up even. Where can they move them to anyway, if their other fields are under water, and their barns and outbuildings are the same? They can't even put hay out for them.

I can't begin to imagine the devastation of your home being under water, but at least the people are rescued and safe, and also have home insurance. What have the pregnant animals got? They must be terrified. It would be even worse if this happened in a few weeks time, once the lambs are all born.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 11:09 AM

Slightly off thread, I was driving past a field with two cows in , I saw a newborn baby calf lying on the ground. I went to the fence and saw the calf was dead . The two cows standing over it , the sadness on their faces was so touching , they kept looking down at it and looking back at me . I told them I was so sorry and could feel their sadness . The farmer came and removed the baby.

A touching few minutes between animal and human .

Yet I won't go into a field of cows as am scared of them .
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 11:12 AM

Good to see so many helping those in need in these areas.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top