Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 04:38 PM

Re: Fish pond

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Here's a picture of the pond vac thing in our shed, where it has been living for some considerable time.
I sincerely hope that this doesn't get back to Marge!
(Sorry, it has turned itself 90 degrees anticlockwise, as it always seems to do.)
I sincerely hope that your shed is equally untidy!
Wish my pond vac was one of those!!

My vac looks like a Henry Hoover. Would send a piccie, but weve lent it to a friend.

As a complete aside JBR, have you ever visited Primrose Garden centre in Styal? Small, independent company, totally unrelated to the big online company with the same name. No pond stuff in it though. We came across it a few weeks ago whilst out on a bit of a random drive. Has got a webpage if you want to look it up. Might be worth a nosey if you're ever out and about.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Wish my pond vac was one of those!!

My vac looks like a Henry Hoover. Would send a piccie, but weve lent it to a friend.

As a complete aside JBR, have you ever visited Primrose Garden centre in Styal? Small, independent company, totally unrelated to the big online company with the same name. No pond stuff in it though. We came across it a few weeks ago whilst out on a bit of a random drive. Has got a webpage if you want to look it up. Might be worth a nosey if you're ever out and about.
Sorry not to reply sooner, but I don't seem to be receiving notifications now of responses to my posts. God knows why. Azz thinks it may be the fault of Gmail, but I can find no way of contacting them.

I think I know the place you mean, on the airport road. I haven't seen any pond stuff there, though, not when we last went anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Here's a piccie of when we first installed it a few years ago. Everything's grown since then, so it's not quite s crisp!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/44SC6T5RkREn4r7o6

That looks lovely Dex. I like the waterfall too.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 09:48 PM

We have man made 2 small ponds here. No.1 was built with a waterfall and shop purchased moulded liner..rocks cover the edges and plants were added from the start. Lily Pads,Marsh Marigolds,Water Iris's, and a Snake look plant..cant remember the name. Three goldfishes...two got taken so we added a model Heron..Since then about 3 years Lonesome has been ok we think...Quite friendly for a fish actually.

Pond No 2. Wooden Pond with plastic liner joined by side raised beds...has a man made fountain and pump that the filter is washed out regularly...lots of fish..started with about 12 tiddler goldfishes but over the 5/6 years now guessing as loads come up at foodtime..say 30+ different sizes and more just been made as a lot of frisky action in the Iris's of late...Green Water..always though....only can think too many fish....

Length is approx 2 metres by 80cms and deoth 80cms

Any other suggestions, as the water is as clear as mud..You cannot see any of the fish unless they surface...tis a shame not to see the fishes...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
We have man made 2 small ponds here. No.1 was built with a waterfall and shop purchased moulded liner..rocks cover the edges and plants were added from the start. Lily Pads,Marsh Marigolds,Water Iris's, and a Snake look plant..cant remember the name. Three goldfishes...two got taken so we added a model Heron..Since then about 3 years Lonesome has been ok we think...Quite friendly for a fish actually.

Pond No 2. Wooden Pond with plastic liner joined by side raised beds...has a man made fountain and pump that the filter is washed out regularly...lots of fish..started with about 12 tiddler goldfishes but over the 5/6 years now guessing as loads come up at foodtime..say 30+ different sizes and more just been made as a lot of frisky action in the Iris's of late...Green Water..always though....only can think too many fish....

Length is approx 2 metres by 80cms and deoth 80cms

Any other suggestions, as the water is as clear as mud..You cannot see any of the fish unless they surface...tis a shame not to see the fishes...
I set up a model heron a while ago now and although herons still visit from time to time, they now give it a wide berth.

I shouldn't rely solely on a model heron, though. I have also covered our pond with a net. If you buy a black one, it becomes fairly invisible depending on what's beneath it.

As for your 'clear as mud' water, you need a pump and filter, and preferably a fountain as well to help aerate the water as well as clean it.
They cost a bob or two, but we've had ours for years and it's still going strong, and it only uses as much electrickery as a small light bulb.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France
DianneWoollie is female  DianneWoollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 10:07 PM

I set up a model heron a while ago now and although herons still visit from time to time, they now give it a wide berth.

I shouldn't rely solely on a model heron, though. I have also covered our pond with a net. If you buy a black one, it becomes fairly invisible depending on what's beneath it.

As for your 'clear as mud' water, you need a pump and filter, and preferably a fountain as well to help aerate the water as well as clean it.
They cost a bob or two, but we've had ours for years and it's still going strong, and it only uses as much electrickery as a small light bulb.
But did state all that ...got the full works going in the Green Pond..Another thing is, the clear one is open to all day sunshine..the Green one is in half Sun and half Shade..the only link to me is the amount of fishes....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

05-07-2021, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by DianneWoollie ->
But did state all that ...got the full works going in the Green Pond..Another thing is, the clear one is open to all day sunshine..the Green one is in half Sun and half Shade..the only link to me is the amount of fishes....
Yes, my apologies, you did.
I can't imagine why one pond has poorer water quality than the other yet has the benefit of filtration.
I doubt it would be anything to do with the fish, though.
DianneWoollie
Deux Sevres. S W France

06-07-2021, 12:02 AM

Really...they cause a lot of waste though.......
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2021, 11:25 AM

Sorry not to reply sooner, but I don't seem to be receiving notifications now of responses to my posts. God knows why. Azz thinks it may be the fault of Gmail, but I can find no way of contacting them.

I think I know the place you mean, on the airport road. I haven't seen any pond stuff there, though, not when we last went anyway.
It did indeed used to by on Ringway, but they had to move when the road was being re-built. They're in a nice little setting. But they don't have pond stuff.

Always nice to buy stuff from small independents and their prices are competitive.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

06-07-2021, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That looks lovely Dex. I like the waterfall too.
Thanks Longdogs.

If I had my time again, I'd love to get rid of the lawn and build a swimming pond. Not a swimming pool wiith chemicals in it, but a pond deep enough to swim in, with plants and fish in it.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top