Join for free
Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Elbee
Chichester
Elbee is male  Elbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Re: Weight Gain (how to gain weight)

Have you considered a trip to the doctor.
underactive (or is it overactive) Thyriod may be one explanation.
You may also have Coeliacs disease ( a Gluten Allergy)
I have this and when I first got it (or got it bad after food poisoning) my weight went down to 8 stone too.
Now I follow a strict Gluten-free diet and I am now 13 stone so be careful what you wish for!

Well worth getting the doctor to give you a check up though.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 04:09 PM

Oh I know, but cannot help missing it terribly. Not PC to say that, however.....
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Elbee ->
Have you considered a trip to the doctor.
underactive (or is it overactive) Thyriod may be one explanation.
You may also have Coeliacs disease ( a Gluten Allergy)
I have this and when I first got it (or got it bad after food poisoning) my weight went down to 8 stone too.
Now I follow a strict Gluten-free diet and I am now 13 stone so be careful what you wish for!

Well worth getting the doctor to give you a check up though.
I'm recently ex-hospital, where I was inspected, injected, jabbed with needles and tested for all manner of things; so
think it's not that. The doctors didn't seem a bit concerned at the weight loss.

I'm familiar with the hyperthyroid symptoms as my cat was recently diagnosed with it.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 04:54 PM

I did wonder about thyroid and mentioned this to the respiratory consultant who glanced at my notes, saying that it looks like I've already been tested for that and nothing unusual was found (news to me). So I googled coeliacs and no ...... I couldn't tick off more than three of the symptoms.
I remember listing everything I had eaten for seven days, written down I could see that I was actually eating more than I thought I was. Showed the dietician, who just said to eat more. She and my GP have fobbed me off with COPD as the cause but I don't believe them. I feel fit as a fiddle, can run, walk miles and keep up with five small grandchildren. Something is happening and the doctors aren't bothering with it. If I was overweight they'd be falling over themselves with advice .......... no disrespect to anyone overweight at all ............... just very cross at being overlooked.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 05:59 PM

I recently eliminated gluten, yeast, dairy, soy, peanuts, eggs and most sugars from my diet to see if this alleviates MS symptoms. I was surprised to lose 14 lbs in a few months and now want to gain some weight back but I don't have much appetite. Interesting reading this thread.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 06:03 PM

Sue, that's a lot to eliminate, did it help your MS?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Sue, that's a lot to eliminate, did it help your MS?
So far I've been able to identify eggs and soy as the worst foods for triggering paresthesia (tingling and numbness) - always starts in my left foot. One of the MS diets also cuts out red meat but I think it's best to have it a few times a week as I eat so little of anything else. Chicken, fish, rice, salads, potatoes. Gets boring. When I have no appetite I'm not motivated to cook either.

Overall I'm a bit less fatigued, but the MS diet gurus say it can be a year or more to see really positive results. I don't need to nap every day now, which is good. My balance seems improved and I'm not dizzy all day, but today I'm having some mental fog - hence posting on the forum instead of balancing the business accounts.

My sister is undergoing her first MRI this month. She developed paresthesia, fatigue, dizziness and electric shocks throughout her body. After talking with me and reading up on MS she's aware she may have it too, so she started the diet 3 months ago (when I did) hoping to slow the progress but she's just had a setback this week despite being meticulous about it. I guess we need to really give it some time.

I'm 57, she's 48 and she has far worse symptoms than I do. My mom is 84 and has lived with MS for 25 years. We've talked with her about eliminating some foods but she's adapted to the power chair and assistive devices and isn't interested in giving it a try.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Ok folks, time to chip in with my two penn'orth. Clearly those of you trying to gain weight are NOT eating the correct foods to do so. Breakfast is essential. Forget the cereal - go for toast, butter and marmalade, or a good 'fry up' breakfast (occasionally). If you must eat cereal, forget the cornflakes etc, - go for porridge.

Lunch or dinner - plenty of 'stodge' - stew with suet dumplings or steak and kidney suet pudding is an excellent way to start. For desserts - again forget these milk and/or yoghurt pots - you need 'proper' desserts - fruit crumbles for example.

Home-made cakes and biscuits between meals is also a good way to top up, and evening munchies (sweets/chocolate) whilst slumped in front of the television will also help a great deal. Exercise is to be avoided at all costs as this 'burns' off the fuel you're feeding yourself with. If some of you do need to go out - use the car/public transport and avoid walking as much as possible.
maryl
UK

14-09-2011, 06:42 PM

Thank you very much Uncle Joe, I knew you wouldn't fail us! That lot would last some of us for a week!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

14-09-2011, 06:49 PM

I like all your instructions except breakfast ... I have absolutely no appetite in the morning and dislike cereals!

Page 4 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top