Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Rice !

Has anyone any advice on how to cook perfect rice - enough for 6 people ?

I am OK with cooking it just for me but, somehow, with larger quantities it never turns out just right.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Re: Rice !

Earlier this year I bought a plastic container designed for cooking rice in a microwave. You just put in the amount of rice you want, add the appropriate amount of water and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes. Perfect rice every time.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2012, 10:44 AM

I usually cook plain long grain basmati rice in the microwave and give it an occasional stir as it cooks. Add a knob of butter and a bit of salt according to taste. Just before it is cooked turn it off and let it stand to absorb the water and it will fluff up without any extra cooking. Then rinse in boiling water to remove some of the starch. The bit of butter in the water helps to keep the rice separated while it is cooking.
Anji0007
Wales UK
Anji0007 is female  Anji0007 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2012, 03:24 PM

I also do my rice in microwave,i go 1 teacup rice to 3 teacups of water,
1 teacup of rice should be enough for 2 medium servings ,

hope it helps ,
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 08:05 AM

I don't own a microwave - but thanks for the replies.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2012, 09:35 AM

I have my own method of cooking rice which is pretty foolproof.

First the rice (and I prefer basamati for serving with curry etc) should be of good quality. I always use Marks and Spencers.

Measure out the rice into a sieve and rinse well in cold water to remove excess starch.
Have a large saucepan of boiling water ready, add the rice and stir for a moment to prevent it all sticking to the bottom.
Turn the heat to simmer/slow boil and cook for 10-15 mins.
After 10 mins I test a few grains every few moments to get them just right. They should be soft with no hard kernel remaining but still firm.
Have a kettle of boiling water at the ready, tip the cooked rice into a large sieve and pour over the boiled water. Shake well to drain. Place in a warm bowl.

I also use this method to cook rice for rice salad and egg fried rice as well as curry.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

17-10-2012, 09:47 AM

That sounds great, Meg, thank you - will give it a try !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2012, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I don't own a microwave - but thanks for the replies.
ST darlin' - do you have a (Tupperware) salad strainer??? - use Uncle Ben's long grain rice - put appropriate amount of water in saucepan, add a large pinch of salt and bring to boil. When water boiling add rice. Stir once, turn down heat DO NOT stir anymore, but allow rice to simmer until it has (ALMOST) absorbed all the water. Empty rice into salad strainer and rinse under hot water, stirring vigorously. Lift inner strainer out of container, empty water (and starch) out of container, replace inner container and rinse under hot water again. Repeat this several times until water runs clear. Allow to drain in strainer and with a fork stir rice again vigorously a second time. Shake strainer over sink to remove last dregs of water. Voila!!! fluffy boiled rice. Serve immediately!!!
butternut
london uk
butternut is female 

07-11-2012, 01:44 PM

Mug of rice to three people, rince rice put two and half cups of water in saucepan add salt to taste. Put rice in to the cold water lid on bring to boil turn off heat leave for 15 min do not i repeat do not take lid off after 15 mins all the water will be absorbed and the rice ready to eat.Far much cheaper than useing a microwave and no fuss.IF useing wild rice use a little more water.
Happy Cooking

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top