Join for free
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2012, 01:53 PM

Foods that keep you YOUNG or do they

How your diet can boost your brain

You could say this article is quite literally ‘food for thought’. The food you eat directly affects the performance of your brain, so, by choosing the right foodstuffs to consume, you can boost your brain power, sharpen your memory and keep your mind young.

A balanced diet is probably the most sound advice when it comes down to prescribing healthy eating tips, but there are some types of food — or ‘brain food’ — which are considered especially good for brain health. Here are a few of the best to chew over:
◦Fish — It’s no fishy tale, fish really is good for the brain since it contains lots of omega-3 fatty acids and fish oils. Fish is considered the ultimate brain food, so it’s not one to let slip through the net if you’re wanting to boost your brain. The best type of fish to eat are oily fish like salmon, sardines, trout, tuna, herring, mackerel and anchovies.

◦Vegetables — That vegetables are good for boosting the brain should come as no surprise. Vegetables are a great source of antioxidants, which are needed to help the body functioning at optimum levels. The best brain-boosting vegetables are considered to be dark, leafy vegetables like spinach, sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower.

◦Fruits — Fruits too are rich in antioxidants and they taste a great deal better than many vegetables, so will be especially good for kids! Some of the best options for brain-boosting fruit are blueberries, blackberries, cranberries, strawberries, raspberries, plums, avocados, red grapes, cherries and kiwi fruit. Time to get fruity!

◦Water — Seeing as around 80 per cent of the brain is made up of water, it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to see that drinking plenty will keep the brain hydrated so that it can function at optimum levels. Not surprisingly, many schools are heeding this advice and providing their pupils with water bottles to keep them topped up throughout the day so that they remain alert. Try to drink at least 2 litres (67.6oz) of fluid a day.

◦Chocolate — Believe it or not chocolate, or its source, cocoa beans, is a great boost to brain power. Research has found that chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is rich in ‘flavanols’ which boost blood flow to key areas of the brain around 2 to 3 hours after consumption. So eating chocolate gives the brain a powerful short-term boost, which could be good for anyone aiming to get through exams or any other testing time.

So, all that should provide you with plenty of food for thought and help you get your brain working to optimum levels. Even if you’re not the brightest spark, you shouldn’t find this advice too hard to swallow, unless you’re one of those adverse to eating your greens or struggling to fit in your five-a-day!

The adage ‘You are what you eat’ never rings truer when it comes to boosting your brainpower. Eat well, and you’ll think well!

The only thing that worries is that most fruit and vegetables are GM modified and showered with all sorts of pest control so unless you eat your own organic you seem to be putting your body at risk.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2012, 07:24 PM

Re: Foods that keep you YOUNG or do they

Interesting information Cate, literally "Food for Thought" eh?....
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2012, 08:59 PM

I did see a Doc Martin programme where an elderly lady was not drinking in the pm because she was afraid of wetting the bed and being put into a home. I checked on line about this and it is true dehydration can cause a form of dementia type symptoms. I urge my mother in law to drink plenty but I know she won't as the idea of wetting yourself is just too much to bear.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 02:19 AM

your post is very interesting you know what they say, and i do believe its true

You are what you eat
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2012, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty ->
your post is very interesting you know what they say, and i do believe its true

You are what you eat
In which case I'm a Buffalo, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich Water Buffalo, Wildebeeste and Zebra. What a concoction!!!!
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
In which case I'm a Buffalo, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich Water Buffalo, Wildebeeste and Zebra. What a concoction!!!!

indeed thats some concoction UJ
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty ->
indeed thats some concoction UJ
Kitty darlin' - had Kangaroo casserole only yesterday - it was delicious!!!!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top