Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:02 PM

Bob a job

I just memtioned Bob a job in another thread and it made me wonder do scouts still do bob a job? How much does it cost now ? A darn site lot more than a bob im sure .

Last time I saw them I was a small child and my mum had no jobs for them so she said you can walk the dog .... But there was two of them and one said what can I do ? My mums reply was ..well I cant chop the dog in half so you will have to take it in turns.... For ages afterwards I had horrible dreams about my dog being chopped in half .

If they came to your house what job would you give them ?

Id get them picking up stones from my field ...its back breaking and I do an hour of it each day.... still millions to go.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Re: Bob a job

I've not seen a boy scout for donkey's years, I wouldn't even know if there's a troop locally...
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:16 PM

Not seen any for a long time, but if I did get one at the door it would really depend on what time of the year it was, if it was winter then he could wash the car. Or the summer then as I hate weeding in the Rockery I'd probably ask the wee lad to have a bash at that for me. But he'd get a big glass of juice and and a hunk of cake to scoff too.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

21-04-2013, 07:01 PM

I think the scouts do something like Bob a job these days. I must ask my grandson who is a scout.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 07:22 PM

The Scouts are quite active in our area. I don't know if they actually go "door knocking" these days, but I do see them in our supermarket fairly often packing bags at the end of the tills. They don't directly ask for money but they have buckets handy for contributions.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 07:32 PM

I suppose if they did come calling we could find them a job of some sort.

We do however occasionally have some local ragamuffins around offering to wash the car, but I tend to think they'd be more likely to nick it than clean it...
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 09:20 AM

I was a Beaver Scout Leader and Scout Leader for just over 20 years and never experienced Bob a Job weeks - I don't think we'd have been encouraged to suggest it to the kids due to all the concern regarding child safety. As has been said, the youngsters raise funds other ways now.

Shame really, I have a fair few little jobs I don't want to do that would just suit a group of Scouts!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->

We do however occasionally have some local ragamuffins around offering to wash the car, but I tend to think they'd be more likely to nick it than clean it...
Not all of them plantman - my son, when he got to around 13 years old, I stopped his 'pocket money' and told him to go look for ways of earning the money for what he wanted. So, he got a bucket (mine), washing up liquid (mine), a sponge (mine) and off he went washing cars locally for £1 a time (he had a lot to learn that boy ). Some of the men were so pleased with how hard he worked for his £1, they took him on to help with the gardening and odd jobs; not only did they pay him more fairly so he ended up with a fair bit more than I'd been giving him (and it gave him a work ethic), he also learned some very useful skills.

So take a chance with a youngster (but just put the anti-theft device on your car just in case )
Carl
New Member!
Glamorgan, Wales
Carl is male 

22-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Bob-a-job now that brings back a load of memories lol. Sadly there are none in my neck of the woods that i know of.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 01:26 PM

We still get the scouts round.

It costs £5:00p ( Drink and Cake thrown in ) to have your car washed or Lawn cut.Well worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top