Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 08:34 AM

XP to Ubuntu (Linux)

I thought some people might be interested in a report on my old Netbook computer (a Dell Mini Netbook 10) now it has been converted from running the defunct M$ XP to running a form of Linux called Ubuntu and I have had some practical experience using it.

I was surprised how smooth the change over was. Initially I ran it on this computer as an alternative boot up to XP just to try it. It all went well from the start the operating system even guided me to get a special driver for the WiFi (peculiar to this computer).

After trying it out for a few days I bit the bullet and reloaded Ubuntu as the only operating system deleting XP entirely, again it was a pretty smooth process.

Since then I have used it in the field so to speak. It's a computer I only use when travelling and its several years old obviously. Ubuntu comes with my favourite programs already built in - Firefox and Thunderbird, It was easy to add more like Keepass and VLC from the Ubuntu app centre, they self install just like phone apps.

While I have been travelling (I am writing this in Malaysia) is has been fine. The programs are just like the Windows versions and quite familiar. Libre Office is also installed with the operating system.

I have backed up photos from my camera using both the built in SD card socket and a USB cable.

OK Cons...

First and foremost is that it is relatively slow to load programs, it was never a fast computer but it is slooow now, Loading Firefox takes several seconds for example however in actual operation the same programs seem to run as fast as on other machines - there is no noticeable lag.

I have not been able to get my network laser printer at home to work with this system which is very annoying even though an ink jet works fine. It seems to be a problem with this particular printer and there are solutions on line but as a Linux beginner they were too complex for me to attempt.

The touch pad on this computer is a bit too sensitive in Ubuntu, it is a problem with the scroll areas on the side and bottom edge but I use the same Bluetooth mouse I used with XP with no problems. Again there is a solution on line but I have not implemented it because the mouse works fine

Could not get Adobe Flash Player to load and install, it might have been a version problem because a couple of days ago, after the operating system upgraded several components, suddenly Flash Player loaded and works fine.

That's about it, there is a slight learning curve and I am still coming to grips with some of the short cut keys. Cut/paste and select all are the same as Windows but a lot are not.

So while there is a little learning to do Ubuntu as a replacement for Windows XP is not at all difficult for the beginner, it is not that different to Windows and there is heaps of help on line.

Alternative programs There is even a web site which reviews alternative programs for Linux and other platforms Click Here

BTW I am travelling with my Tablet too. I much prefer the computer to the tablet for most things
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 08:48 AM

Re: XP to Ubuntu (Linux)

Just as a matter of interest I unloaded Firefox then reloaded it to time how long it took.

Firefox 7.21 secs
Thunderbird 9.43 secs

Timed using the tablet stopwatch.

Fairly glacial but in operation the programs have no noticeable lag.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 09:45 AM

I've used Puppy Linux for several years now, and find it's operating and boot-up speed lightning-fast compared to XP. Browser is Seamonkey, which is a Mozilla product and loads almost immediately. All other programmes are also faster - no comparison to Windoze. I do have to go back to XP occasionally for some software, but for internet work Linux is ideal, and safer from virus infection. Works for me.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 11:14 AM

I have used Ubuntu Bruce. It's not installed at present but I did have difficulty in getting a network printer working when I was setting up Ubuntu 14.

The answer lay in putting in the printer's IP Address somewhere within the printer set-up options but I can't say exactly where (with the OS not being installed at present).

I got the printer's IP address by going into the computer with Windows installed and that was working with the printer.

Have a look at the network Printer Properties in the Windows OS Control Panel and the IP Address is shown there. Type that number into the appropriate box in Ubuntu and press OK. With my installation, a bit of automatic setting up occurred, then everything fell into place and worked.

All a bit vague but I hope it might give enough of a clue to get the printer working.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-08-2014, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheeler ->
I've used Puppy Linux for several years now, and find it's operating and boot-up speed lightning-fast compared to XP. Browser is Seamonkey, which is a Mozilla product and loads almost immediately. All other programmes are also faster - no comparison to Windoze. I do have to go back to XP occasionally for some software, but for internet work Linux is ideal, and safer from virus infection. Works for me.
As you will have gathered I am a big fan of Mozilla too though I have not tried Seamonkey; another Mozilla program I have installed on this machine is FileZilla a really good FTP program that I also use in Windows 7 on my main desktop machine.

This machine was never fast it was one of the first models and has an early Intel 'Atom' processor which was never the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Originally Posted by mart ->
The answer lay in putting in the printer's IP Address somewhere within the printer set-up options but I can't say exactly where (with the OS not being installed at present).

I got the printer's IP address by going into the computer with Windows installed and that was working with the printer.

I tried something along those lines but without success. The annoying thing is that it is a Brother laser printer, a company that supports Linux very well.

Having said that when I get home again I shall really get stuck into making the damn thing work properly.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 05:58 PM

Interesting so far, I'm sure some forum somewhere can help???
I have downloaded Mint and Zorin to DVD's but not used them yet. May try on an old HP business laptop I have stashed away...

Mike

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top