Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 11:42 PM

More 'offensive' rubbish

Exeter Chiefs Rugby club urged to change 'offensive' name by Native American expert

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36965975
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 11:52 PM

Re: More 'offensive' rubbish

Has the expert actually asked any Native Americans what their feelings are about it? Hmm, I suspect not!

Who knows, they might even be offended by this white settler making assumptions on their behalf.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 12:02 AM

My answers to all these questions is to ask the potentially "offended" what they think

Sorted!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 03:16 AM

What? are Chief Petty Officers up in arms?

Perhaps it's the logo they use?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 06:11 AM

Good grief!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 07:12 AM

Either that person is very bored or they want to be recognised as a campaigner for something. Perhaps they have an inferiority complex and need a boost or they're narcissistic and think they speak on other folks behalf.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 07:24 AM

All this reminds me very much of a close family member's experience working in a children's nursery. This was in the early days of racism and sexism. Because of these two 'isms' the children's dolls had to be of both sexes and also both black and white. Then along came the subject of Father Christmas with the obvious differences of religions – there are other religions. The final 'difference' that had to be addressed, and one that I don't recall them having found a way round, was that of the problematical 'snowman'! That had them all guessing as to a way round that one!

Maybe it would have been possible regarding the gender issue but that of being 'white' snow – well I leave it to you to work out!
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 10:16 AM

Some people that fall form the silly tree, hit every branch on the way down.

Thats something we say for daft.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 11:19 AM

I've lived in the US and I can say with some experience that a significant % of native Americans have always found the name "Washington Redskins" offensive. IT is not new. NO judgement as to whether that is reasonable or not. I"m not Native American so I can't really claim to have any "skin" in the game. (yes I know..groan) Do any of us here?...Apart from any who may be Native Americans that is
marciniak
wales uk
marciniak is male  marciniak has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 11:47 AM

Okay there are words, name calling used to provoke/insult which yes.... by all means ban such words..... but lets use common sense when words also have another meaning, ones that are not designed to provoke.

Remember that saying... Sticks and Stones

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top