Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 01:43 AM

Re: should we rename oxfam - oxsham ?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Someone l know, always referred to Oxfam as ‘Harrods’ for the prices they charge!!

There is an Oxfam book shop in the town and local booksellers are fed up that they are losing out to them.
I once donated a cheap, wood framed mirror which I'd bought from a discount store for about £5. I saw it in the window a couple of days later for sale at £12!!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 03:48 AM

They do good work and most of the funds do go to the needy overseas, but there is a hell of a lot of cash which simply disappears (i.e. pocketed by the fat cats in charge).

I will never use Oxfam again, either donating or shopping in their shops since I saw they paid Kate Moss £171,000 for a modelling contract a couple of weeks ago. That is disgusting.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I once donated a cheap, wood framed mirror which I'd bought from a discount store for about £5. I saw it in the window a couple of days later for sale at £12!!
But isn't that a good thing if they can sell it for £12 and make a profit?
Otherwise why do we donate stuff to charity shops?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
They would have made a profit at £5. It was strange to see it at an inflated price. Particularly as many used to go to charity shops when they could not afford to pay full cost.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 09:12 AM

The charity shops want to make as much money as possible for their cause and the shop manager is often under pressure to do better. No charity shop wants to continue at a loss and, even though they don't have to pay for the goods they sell, they do have to cover the cost of the shop premises and any utilities used.
Just because a few people have done wrong at Oxfam and Oxfam top dogs decided that it was better to keep quiet about it, please lets not criticize the volunteer workers and low paid managers who run the shops. They give their time and effort to make peoples lives better..... and many benefit from their efforts.
I can't criticize a whole charity organization for the wrong doings of a few, and I don't think anybody should till they know who is responsible for these activities!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 09:22 AM

As my husband and I have donated quite generously to Oxfam and other charities over the years, I am shocked by these revelations about the disgusting improper conduct of their staff.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Any donations I make now go to the Warwickshire Air Ambulance, (only kept flying through charity) or the local hospice. National charity shops get nothing.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 10:40 AM

but isn't that a good thing if they can sell it for £12 and make a profit?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Absolutely right, Ruthio!

Actually, Charity shops round here search Ebay in order to get the right price for items donated.

Good thing - everyone wins.

Greenhorn
England
Greenhorn is male  Greenhorn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Any donations I make now go to the Warwickshire Air Ambulance, (only kept flying through charity) or the local hospice. National charity shops get nothing.

More or less my view
However, I would still rather donate an item to a National Charity shop than take it to the tip. They just don't get my custom.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top