Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 01:33 PM

Nose bleeds

Having a strident chat ( husband hates arguments ) about head forward or head back with a nose bleed.

Gracie is on new dose of her medication and it's caused nasty nose bleeds, her consultant has written to GP with new dosage instructions but the problem won't go away for a few days he says.

So head forward I say

Head back husband says

Save us raising our voices at each other and tell me which is correct ?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 01:39 PM

Re: Nose bleeds

Surely head forward over a basin, and apply very cold water compress to the bridge of the nose area to staunch the bleeding.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 01:39 PM

I think you are right Julie, so I looked it up on the internet and found this...

"Sit up or stand. Tilt your head forward and pinch your nostrils together just below the bony center part of your nose. Applying pressure helps stop the blood flow and the nosebleed will usually stop with 10 minutes of steady pressure. Don't stop applying pressure to keep checking if the bleeding has stopped."

Is it okay to swallow blood from a bloody nose?
"Swallowed blood can irritate your stomach and cause vomiting. And vomiting may make the bleeding worse or cause it to start again. Spit out any blood that gathers in your mouth and throat rather than swallowing it. Use your thumb and forefinger to firmly pinch the soft part of your nose shut."
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 02:23 PM

Position of head is irrelevant.

Pinch the soft part of the nose for about five minutes and the bleeding WILL stop...

unless, of course, you are a 'bleeder'!

EDIT: Whilst you're pinching your nose, may I suggest you breathe through your mouth.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 02:30 PM

Thanks all panic over. She's having several a day so it's important to get it right. I'll not say I told him so to hubby
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Since being put on lots of new meds to thin my blood I've noticed that I seem to bleed very easy. I stayed in a hotel this weekend and on Monday had to apologise when handing my key back in that at sometime in the night i had bled a little tiny bit on the pillow. Don't even know where from.
The receptionist told me not to worry as the laundry they use can get bloodstains out easily.

Obviously I now now a great hotel to commit a murder in as blood stains do not bother them at all.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Thanks all panic over. She's having several a day so it's important to get it right.
Yes, I get quite a few nosebleeds but, for some reason, usually only from my right nostril.

I should really see my GP, but it is only a trivial thing. In the case of your child, though, it would surely do no harm to ask for medical help.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

19-04-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I get quite a few nosebleeds but, for some reason, usually only from my right nostril.

I should really see my GP, but it is only a trivial thing. In the case of your child, though, it would surely do no harm to ask for medical help.
They know about it as I said her consultant is onto it changing her dose of medication. I think problem is they prescribe but she's growing fast so the dose never seems right for more than a week or two. They upped her dose and the nose bleeds started so obviously over estimated her need.

If she bleeds for more than 15 minutes we have to dash her to a&e as that's an emergency they've said.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 09:28 PM

How scary for you - I hope things improve.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 10:40 PM

Hubby used to get them frequently and he is on blood thinners so that is part of it.

But doc told him to start using just a bit of vaseline inside the nose so there is no drying out....problem solved

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top