Join for free
Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Re: Gina Miller Claims She Will TAKE BACK CONTROL Of Brexit!

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
And who was the stupid witch that signed us up to the Single European Act Treaty???

The Conservative Prime Minister, Edward Heath, took the UK into the EEC in January 1973 after President de Gaulle of France had blocked UK membership twice in the 1960s. This brought EEC membership to nine. In a referendum in 1975 the UK electorate voted to stay in the EEC under renegotiated terms of entry.

Britain, under the leadership of Margaret Thatcher, negotiated an EU budget rebate in 1984 after threatening to halt payments to the EU budget. Britain felt it was being unfairly treated as, despite being the third poorest EC Member State, it was set to become the biggest net contributor. This was largely due to farming subsidies, to which Britain was eligible for very little. The Fontainebleau Summit agreed that this was unfair and granted Britain a rebate.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/livi...-european-act/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Correct Mrs Thatcher and company were for the EEC as it was then..not the EU as it is now
Correct.

The problem is that some people cannot understand the difference between the EEC and the EU.

I have always said, and say it again: I am in favour of membership of the EEC.

I cannot understand why some people thought it a good idea for the organisation to mutate from a free-trade organisation into a political union, and that is preparing to mutate yet again into a superstate where we are all ruled from Brussels.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Correct.

The problem is that some people cannot understand the difference between the EEC and the EU.

I have always said, and say it again: I am in favour of membership of the EEC.

I cannot understand why some people thought it a good idea for the organisation to mutate from a free-trade organisation into a political union, and that is preparing to mutate yet again into a superstate where we are all ruled from Brussels.
No it isn't.
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 10:50 AM

I didn't expect that you'd be able to answer my question which, for completeness, I include again:

When, exactly, did we vote to join the EU?

What you should have admitted is:

We have never voted to join the EU

I am not sure whether you recognize that this country is a parliamentary democracy. That means that with the consent of parliament, the government take decisions on our behalf via the MP's we voted for.

This is what happened when the EEC changed from the EEC (don't forget that we left a free trade area EFTA European Free Trade Area to join the EEC) to the European Community, EC which then morphed in to the EU.

It's not rocket science.

We therefore did vote via our MP's to become part of the EU, or are you suggesting that we have a referendum on everything?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by itsme ->
I am not sure whether you recognize that this country is a parliamentary democracy. That means that with the consent of parliament, the government take decisions on our behalf via the MP's we voted for.

This is what happened when the EEC changed from the EEC (don't forget that we left a free trade area EFTA European Free Trade Area to join the EEC) to the European Community, EC which then morphed in to the EU.

It's not rocket science.

We therefore did vote via our MP's to become part of the EU, or are you suggesting that we have a referendum on everything?
OK. Let me simplify this for you.

We did not vote directly in a referendum to join the EU.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 12:27 PM

OK. Let me simplify this for you.

We did not vote directly in a referendum to join the EU.
So what?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 01:45 PM

In 1975 we voted for ever closer union
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

16-09-2018, 02:30 PM

In 2016, some people voted for confrontation.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-09-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
In 1975 we voted for ever closer union
We? Who?
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2018, 03:28 PM

We? Who?
The majority of those who voted did.

Choice Votes %
Referendum passed Yes 17,378,581 67.23
No 8,470,073 32.77
Valid votes 25,848,654 99.78
Invalid or blank votes 54,540 0.22
Total votes 25,903,194 100.00
Registered voters and turnout 40,086,677 64.67

Page 8 of 14 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top