Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 03:23 AM

Resilient cities for the 21st Century

sounds very neat - could easy be done elsewhere?

cities of the future
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 01:36 PM

Re: Resilient cities for the 21st Century

People don’t shout in Pontevedra – or they shout less. With all but the most essential traffic banished, there are no revving engines or honking horns, no metallic snarl of motorbikes or the roar of people trying make themselves heard above the din – none of the usual soundtrack of a Spanish city.

What you hear in the street instead are the tweeting of birds in the camellias, the tinkle of coffee spoons and the sound of human voices. Teachers herd crocodiles of small children across town without the constant fear that one of them will stray into traffic.

How can it be that private property – the car – occupies the public space?
César Mosquera
“Listen,” says the mayor, opening the windows of his office. From the street below rises the sound of human voices. “Before I became mayor 14,000 cars passed along this street every day. More cars passed through the city in a day than there are people living here.”

Miguel Anxo Fernández Lores has been mayor of the Galician city since 1999. His philosophy is simple: owning a car doesn’t give you the right to occupy the public space.

“How can it be that the elderly or children aren’t able to use the street because of cars?” asks César Mosquera, the city’s head of infrastructures. “How can it be that private property – the car – occupies the public space?”

Interesting. I quoted part as some don't click on links.
I think that providing there is adequate transport for people this is a good thing.
We do of course have Park and Ride in many cities.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 01:46 PM

Sounds wonderful.
But it begs the question, how do all the shops get their goods delivered to their premises?
The article says ... for a wedding, the bride and groom can travel by car into the car free zone (but not the guests) ... and it's the same for funerals.

Isn't it trying to address a problem by shifting it elsewhere?
Quote from article.
They closed all surface car parks in the city centre and opened underground ones and others on the periphery, with 1,686 free places.
The main grumble is that the scheme has led to congestion on the periphery of the zone and that there aren’t enough parking spaces.

So in effect it's probably a commercial based decision to give shoppers an enhanced experience whilst spending their cash in a happier mood.
I'm am incurable cynic, I know.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 01:50 PM

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 01:58 PM

They're already on about building Smart homes with wi-fi capability built in at the construction stage aren't they?
A nightmare for those who fear excessive snooping and surveillance.

Wouldn't you think, given the shortage of land and global overpopulation in general, that instead of exorbitantly expensive and impractical fantasies about building colonies on the Moon they'd bend their brains to underwater domed communities ( hello Captain Nemo )..... or like those artificial islands they've constructed off the coast of Dubai?

If mankind is going to totally exhaust and exploit the planet we ought to go the whole hog.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
They're already on about building Smart homes with wi-fi capability built in at the construction stage aren't they?
A nightmare for those who fear excessive snooping and surveillance.

Wouldn't you think, given the shortage of land and global overpopulation in general, that instead of exorbitantly expensive and impractical fantasies about building colonies on the Moon they'd bend their brains to underwater domed communities ( hello Captain Nemo )..... or like those artificial islands they've constructed off the coast of Dubai?

If mankind is going to totally exhaust and exploit the planet we ought to go the whole hog.
good point Mort - colonizing the moon and mars is starting with barren nothing and truckin everything up there - sounds time consuming and expensive - better improving earth - now why didn't we all think of that? dah!!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

21-09-2018, 02:14 PM

I have always thought that the rich will live above ground and the poor below. If Grand Central in New York, can run trains at three levels, then it will not be long before underground cities emerge. There are already Shopping Malls below ground.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

21-09-2018, 02:24 PM

Given world pollution I wonder if it's more likely to be the other way around ?
The down and outs and poor will be above ground.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

21-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I have always thought that the rich will live above ground and the poor below. If Grand Central in New York, can run trains at three levels, then it will not be long before underground cities emerge. There are already Shopping Malls below ground.
true and I always feel totally safe in our underground food halls!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

21-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Given world pollution I wonder if it's more likely to be the other way around ?
The down and outs and poor will be above ground.
Very good point Morti. Shall we do some research on that?

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
true and I always feel totally safe in our underground food halls!
Yes, I do too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top