Join for free
Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 05:46 PM

Re: Utter Humiliation for Theresa May!

Mrs May did say " Leave means Leave" though, which is something that very few other politicians have said. The majority have been wanting to remain & probably doing all they can to make sure we can't leave

If anybody is to blame for this situation, it is David Cameron, who was happy to let us vote, being self assured that we would vote to stay. When the vote to leave was the result & he had done no research, or made any plans on what our priorities should be, he suddenly ran off with his tail between his legs!

This was a very important referendum, and it seems that he had made no plans at all on what we needed to do if it was a "Leave" result.
I am beginning to think that there is nobody in Parliament capable of running this country & doing what the public want.

The EU must now be very confident that non of the other countries will leave!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Mrs May did say " Leave means Leave" though, which is something that very few other politicians have said. The majority have been wanting to remain & probably doing all they can to make sure we can't leave

If anybody is to blame for this situation, it is David Cameron, who was happy to let us vote, being self assured that we would vote to stay. When the vote to leave was the result & he had done no research, or made any plans on what our priorities should be, he suddenly ran off with his tail between his legs!

This was a very important referendum, and it seems that he had made no plans at all on what we needed to do if it was a "Leave" result.
I am beginning to think that there is nobody in Parliament capable of running this country & doing what the public want.

The EU must now be very confident that non of the other countries will leave!
I agree now he has swanned off and left someone else to fight the fight quiet frankly what can you expect from a bunch of Old Etonians they have no idea how everyone else lives.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I was just thinking.

After such disgraceful treatment by those EU mafia suits towards our Prime Minister, regardless of our feelings towards her, by insulting and humiliating her, they were also aiming it at the United Kingdom and its people too.

Surely, this must have made many Remainers angry too? maybe even convinced them of how this has shown what the dictatorial bullies running this cartel are really like.
Hopefully, seeing them in their true colours may convince them they no longer want to be any part of such a vile, undemocratic organisation, run by complete bullies.

One can only hope. I would love to hear the views of remainers on here on DISMAY's treatment at the summit?
I agree Shrops .
I wouldn't like to be In her shoes at all.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 06:17 PM

It bemuses me how Labour can be so smug as to continually castigate the government with both their approach to brexit and the infighting within the tory party, but what credible alternative, or constructive ideas have flowed from their direction?

The truth is that Brexit is such a divisive issue that no party has unity on the subject and for Labour, whose constituencies voted in a large majority for Brexit, would be just as much at odds if the ball was in their court, what with the majority of their constituents wanting out, and the majority of their politicians wanting to stay in, the chaos would be just as bad.

Perhaps if politicians of all colours stopped thinking of themselves and started to put the country first to show a united front to the EU, then a better deal would be more within reach, but I won't hold my breath..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It bemuses me how Labour can be so smug as to continually castigate the government with both their approach to brexit and the infighting within the tory party, but what credible alternative, or constructive ideas have flowed from their direction?

The truth is that Brexit is such a divisive issue that no party has unity on the subject and for Labour, whose constituencies voted in a large majority for Brexit, would be just as much at odds if the ball was in their court, what with the majority of their constituents wanting out, and the majority of their politicians wanting to stay in, the chaos would be just as bad.

Perhaps if politicians of all colours stopped thinking of themselves and started to put the country first to show a united front to the EU, then a better deal would be more within reach, but I won't hold my breath..
I agree Barry and all members of parliament should be doing their best to support the government in carrying out the will of the majority who voted leave in the referendum not indulging in petty point scoring.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 06:29 PM

Twink and Muddy, I agree with you entirely.Meg and Barry as well.

I appreciate this sounds like a tirade, so be it.

The London elite, of which David Cameron is front of the queue as a cherished member, have simply no idea of how ordinary people live.

Not for them overstretched NHS hospitals where unless one is dying, are no longer even welcome in Accident & Emergency departments, doctor's surgeries, where one is lucky if they can get an appointment within 3 weeks.
school places where most people can no longer get their child in, never mind a choice of school, Housing, where once a housing list meant one would eventually get a council house, no more though, it's all down to "those most in need" and who is more in need than new incomers and their children, pushing the indiginous further and further down the list to that marked "Never" Job losses. When companies are advertising for employees to speak Polish, that says it all.

No, sorry to say, The London elite live in a parallel world from the rest of us. When they praise the EU and what it has done for them, they are so grateful in their minimum 10-bedroomed homes for cheap au-pairs, gardeners, plumbers, builders and electricians, and to hell with the fact that incomers, (and no-one is saying they are not hard-working) are at the cost of our own tradespeople with lowering of prices and job losses.

I personally believe that a new political party is needed where unless one has had an ordinary job (not banking or in working in the mile), they should not be eligible for selection to become an MP. Until and when politicians can really appreciate how those living anywhere north of Watford live their lives, we will always have the political elite who haven't got a ruddy clue how to act as a proper politician working for our best interests first.

I would go as far as to say these London elite Leave haters cannot comprehend why anyone would ever want to leave such a successful, sharing organisation as the EU - at least for them! Is it any wonder they behave with so little thought or understanding or respect for anyone having to cope outside of their happy little bubbleland.

David Cameron is a coward! and will be long-remembered as the Prime Minister who cut and ran. What a legacy to be remembered for!

Tirade over!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2018, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
After such disgraceful treatment by those EU mafia suits towards our Prime Minister, regardless of our feelings towards her, by insulting and humiliating her, they were also aiming it at the United Kingdom and its people too.

Surely, this must have made many Remainers angry too?
Not just remoaners, but the whole world!

Every country in the world, including the EU members, will now be aware of what has happened. I am assuming that the vast majority have standards somewhat higher than those demonstrated by the EU politicians involved and, hopefully, their repulsive tactics may have backfired on them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 03:23 AM

I haven't been following Brexit negotiations but while I was at a hotel in Malayasia's Cameron Highlands I watched a bit of the BBC News on the EUs special conference in Austria (I think). I got the impression that there were major sticking points on some pretty big issues.

Today in the SMH was an article which said in part:

"Stripped of its R.E.S.P.E.C.T. rhetoric, British Prime Minister Theresa May’s extraordinary speech in 10 Downing St on Friday sounded suspiciously like the flutter of a white flag.

To paraphrase what it said, in a nutshell: “We chose Brexit. I’m out of ideas on how to make it work the way I want. Send help.”

Anything could happen from here. It could be a bump in the road, or it could lead to the fall of the British government and/or economic chaos. These are all real, not remote possibilities."

Further on:

"And yet, said May, a border in the Irish Sea has been rejected by the UK Parliament and “is something I will never agree to, indeed… something no British prime minister would ever agree to”.

So. No Single Market. No Customs Union. But no border checks in Northern Ireland or in the Irish Sea.

May’s government had, at great political cost, come up with the ‘Chequers’ plan that would, it said, tick all these boxes. Britain would vow to abide by the EU’s rule book for trade in goods, apply EU rules at its own borders, but go its own way on services.

The EU looked at Chequers and decided it was unworkable, that it would undermine the Single Market. May seems to accept this."

With only 6 months to go surely it is very worrying that some of the major sticking points are no nearer resolution.

Will there be a compromise?

BTW the rest of the article was pretty interesting too

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/...22-p505ci.html
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 04:20 AM

Negotiations usually means two sides making proposals and reaching a compromise.
In this case it seems that we are making all of the proposals, with EU just saying no.
As a no deal exit would harm some EU countries to a great extent I feel that there will eventually be proper negotiations.
IMO.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brex...-negotiations/
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2018, 04:48 AM

I'm with you, at your side,Tregonsee.

This is all just rhetoric,bullsh*t and demonstrations to the half-billion+ residents of the EU,just how ''strong'' their elected ambassadors are. Except-they're not. The EU is bloody TERRIFIED of the thought of the UK actually leaving. Iceland left-told the EU to get knotted-and they survive happily. If you ever go to Reykjavik,what you WON'T see is resultant poverty form their decision to pull out. [without a 'deal',btw] Ok,that was a while ago...but the EU is becoming slowly-but-surely the United States of Germany,with it's grovelling subservient acolyte we call France acting as the clearing-house for all unwanted items. If Germa..oops,I mean the EU want a hard Irish border so desperately,let THEM erect it,staff it and run it! It'll be EXACTLY as they want/design it, with no accusations of the UK doing a 'Mickey Mouse' job of it. After all,THAT way they can't complain if [when] it doesn't work. If the EU REALLY doesn't want any country to leave-and not for a moment do I think the UK is the only country thinking ''Oops-This wasn't such a good idea after all''-the difference is,WE have thespian and spirit to look them in the eye and say "If the deal had been fair from day one, we wouldn't BE leaving!"

Page 4 of 20 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top