Join for free
Page 97 of 370 « First < 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 197 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 10:28 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I seem to have brought more back from Scarborough that fond memories and the satisfaction of knowing that I can still shuffle up Oliver's Mount in double quick time. I started sneezing while in bed last night and woke up with a steamer of a head cold.....

Running goes on however, and despite all of storm Eleanors attempts to dissuade me, not to mention the steaming head cold, I laced up the running shoes and threw myself out into the teeth of the gale. The footpaths were littered with broken branches and recycling boxes, and I was being buffeted in all directions by the strong rain laden wind.

Despite the fierce weather it was quite mild for this time of the year and it was quite refreshing and invigorating to be out in the furore, not to mention the fact that for the first time in twelve hours I was able to breathe again without the annoyance of a blocked nose.

I was expecting to be overcome by tiredness and lethargy, even perhaps having to abandon my brave attempt at putting two fingers up to Eleanor, and running through a head cold, but the run was surprisingly easy albeit at a snails pace. The only downside was the amount of traffic I encountered on those usually empty country roads. Puddles almost met in the middle from the heavy overnight rain, and it's a brave runner who elects to run in the middle of a busy road, so frequent leaps onto the grassy verge ensured I would live to run again.

Chronic pain from stiffness in my lower back muscles hindered my pace after about four miles, possibly the result of heaving heavy luggage around, or perhaps a night of dancing, either way it was no cause for concern I was just happy to be out there quietly putting in the miles and the realisation that whatever you think is wrong with you is just an illusion when you can go out and run six miles on a morning.....

That's some impressive swimming Roxy, and a great start to the new year and I wish you a very Happy, Healthy and buoyant 2018....

Surfermon, if I was in any doubt about going for a run this morning that doubt would have been swept away by the excellent description of your run..........I was with you on every step....But annual accumulated mileage is not really the target of our labours, the number of the year is unimportant compared to the experience and pleasure gained from just being able to do it and enjoy it......But well done anyway....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:05 AM

Sorry to hear you've caught a head cold from somewhere Bob, make sure you don't overdo the running while you're like that

Hope you'll feel better soon....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 04:44 AM

Roxy! You sound as enthusiastic as I felt starting off the year. It’s most interesting to read about your history with the sport.I love it that you are so excited and self-motivated about your swimming and I admire you for it. I am a bit of a water woman myself, but never had the discipline to do as many laps and as frequently as you. I am impressed!

Oh, Floydy, you get a big hug for that song. While it was written when I was just a toddler, I grew up mostly in California, and that song has quite a storied history for me and would definitely be up there in the soundtrack of my last century. You really hit the mark. As for swimming, the one thing I know about being in the cool gulf water and the occasional pool is that it definitely, noticeably makes your joints feel better. I really do think you would enjoy it.

OGF, you are truly a running warrior, and I knew before I got to the end of the first paragraph that despite your cold, you were going to run. I have run in all manners of illness (probably a few ill-advised) but overall, for a good cold, a run and most definitely surfing (or at least swimming in salt water) helps clear out sinuses and lungs, and I theorize that it also shortens the cold’s duration.

Anyhow, I am ever impressed. I am sorry to hear about your nagging back problems. There has to be a solution, but regardless…carrying the luggage strengthens the marriage and dancing strengthens the soul…so both are justifiable. There has to be an answer though that will keep your running, discoing, and marriage pain-free.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Sorry to hear you've caught a head cold from somewhere Bob, make sure you don't overdo the running while you're like that

Hope you'll feel better soon....
Thanks Mags, I woke up yesterday morning and could hardly get out of bed. Muscles ached, and had it been a running day it would have been impossible even to bend down and tie my shoelaces. It started off being my worst day yet, couldn't even do my press-ups...
Fortunately, I wanted to run on New Years Day - Start the New Year off with a compulsory jog up Oliver's Mount - And because I run every other day it meant changing my schedule to Monday, Wednesday and Friday instead of my usual Tuesday, Thursday....
Well I managed to scramble round a six miler on Wednesday but after yesterday's power cut I wasn't sure if I should go this morning.

After feeling a little better today, force of habit took over and at 8:00am I set off down the street for a six........Within two miles my mojo had returned and not only did I have a happy run, I even managed a couple of intervals........Followed by sixty press-ups....But I hope Mrs Fox doesn't expect me to do anything strenuous today though....

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->

OGF, you are truly a running warrior, and I knew before I got to the end of the first paragraph that despite your cold, you were going to run. I have run in all manners of illness (probably a few ill-advised) but overall, for a good cold, a run and most definitely surfing (or at least swimming in salt water) helps clear out sinuses and lungs, and I theorize that it also shortens the cold’s duration.

Anyhow, I am ever impressed. I am sorry to hear about your nagging back problems. There has to be a solution, but regardless…carrying the luggage strengthens the marriage and dancing strengthens the soul…so both are justifiable. There has to be an answer though that will keep your running, discoing, and marriage pain-free.
Surfermom, I believe Old Age and living in a cold damp climate are responsible for my recurring back problems, I'm sure with the arrival of some warmer weather all my problems will have dissipated.....

Running is as constant as the rising sun, discoing is a lot less frequent, but there will always be pain attached to marriage.....Just like the weather....You have good days.....and you have bad days......When the bad days outnumber the good days, it's time to move on...
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2018, 07:45 PM

Really pleased you enjoyed that Beach Boys song, Surfermom. Hope you had a great birthday
Apparently it's snowing in Florida. The reports are that it's the first time in 25 years for it to do so over there...can that be right?!

Bob: A Great recovery for you after your cold symptoms. I think you're one of these who prefers to get out there regardless of what the "experts" say. Yep, you have a cold but sometimes putting that to the back of your mind is the best way forward. Sheer bloody-mindedness will always push through! And sixty press-ups Doubt if I could do that (without some renewed practice anyway - I haven't done any for years!).

- - - - - - - -

Anyway, today I was back with a run of the mill chest/triceps session this afternoon. I’ve decided on a 5-set routine from now on as I think this will work pretty well as it encompasses all my goals: Light/Moderate/Heavy/Max/High Reps. Everything went very well today so I think I’ll be sticking with this format for the foreseeable future.

Friday 5 Jan 18 – Chest/triceps

Bench press:
20x40, 12x50, 10x60, 6x70, 25x30
*The last set was done on the Smith machine as it’s more stable for doing all-out bonkers manic high reps.

DB press, incline bench:
6x24, 6x26, 6x28, 4x30, 12x20

Chest press:
12x40, 12x50, 12x60, 6x75, 25x30

Pec dec:
12x50, 10x60, 6x65, 6x70, 20x40

Fwd. delt fly:
20x50, 18x65, 15x80, 12x95, 25x50

Tricep extensions:
12x40, 12x50, 12x60, 8x70, 20x35

Time: 1 hour.

Tomorrow will be of the same format but doing pull work - biceps, back. lats etc.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 04:18 PM

All the efforts finally made it happen. First, there was the pilgrimage, in which dozens of the dazed and miserable made the way across town with their beasts of burden. They lined up by the dozens with breaths of their loyal beasts puffing and visible. Patiently waiting their turn, one-at-time they made their way to the strange altar-like opening where young women, like acolytes made the exchange of their offerings of coins and paper for individual chalices that they sipped from delicately.

Then there were the believers. Each day they huddled in homes, fields, and shops - uncaring how their behavior appeared to the non-believers, slumped over the small glowing stones or perched safely across rooms from the larger ones . Without care for the conditions around them, they bowed their heads. Almost prayerfully they gazed at images of clouds and wind that were somehow etched in the stone, and passed their fingers, almost like gesticulations, across the glassy surfaces or over small buttoned boxes. All the while, they mumbled mantras about it the bitter cold, the missing sun, or fearing that this was the end of days. Staring, almost trance-like they waited for the knowledgeable ones - the ones in high dress and position who could read the signs and predict the future.

Finally there were the heathens, of which I am admittedly one. Hungry for normalcy and unfettered by the unusual occurrences of late - the snow, the wind, and temperatures unseen in this part of the world, the land of flowers, for a quarter of a century - cared not about a week of the absent sun. Like them, I laced my shoes and donned my warmest layers all the same and made our way outside - bravely, cautiously, but surely. In the gray mist I moved with haste, with brave disregard for the elements. Fleetly my feet moved and, though my breathing was initially labored, I pressed forward. Turning north, the angry wind cut razor-like at my cheeks and watering eyes. Turning east where that orb should be, I looked skyward to see, yet again, not the sun, but a thick blanket of hazy clouds, set in like a stubborn cold. Only when I turned south did I gather enough warmth and strength to press on to round out the seven miles.

Then it happened.

Whether it was the result those people who had made their way stoically and determinedly through the drive-through lane at Starbucks for their morning coffee, the people staring at their iPhones and televisions for the weather forecast, or those who beat the pavement in hypnotic, rhythmic steps….

The spell was broken and the Florida sun finally, though weakly, shone in radiant glory, bringing warmth to all - pilgrims, believers, beasts and heathens alike.

It was a very satisfying run. Good workouts everyone and may the sun shine your way!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Haha! Great little introduction to a run there, Surfermom! I was wondering where you were going with that. It was like an excerpt from a poem from the middle ages.
Glad you had a good run in the end though
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Back and biceps today and plenty of time to fit everything in, in fact I was looking for more work after my proposed routine so I added another three exercises. Because of this I’ll be upping some of the weights for next time.

Saturday 6 Jan 18 – Back, biceps.

Lat pulldown, hammer bar:
12x40, 12x50, 10x60, 6x70, 30x30

Lat pulldown, underarm c/g:
12x40, 12x50, 10x60, 6x70, 30x30

Machine curls, alt.:
6x30, 6x35, 6x40, 6x50, 12x25

DB concentration curl, alt.:
8x14, 8x16, 6x18

E-Z preacher curl, low pull, c/g:
6x28, 6x33, 6x38, 5x43, 25x18

Single arm low row, alt.:
10x70, 10x80, 6x90

Cable curl, alt.:
10x23, 8x29, 15x17

Ab crunch:
20x45, 20x45, 20x45

DB hammer curl, alt.:
6x16, 6x18

DB Fly, incline bench:
6x14’s, 6x14’s, 6x14’s

Time: 1hr. 15mins.

Thanks for reading
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-01-2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Haha! Great little introduction to a run there, Surfermom! I was wondering where you were going with that. It was like an excerpt from a poem from the middle ages.
Glad you had a good run in the end though
Same here Floydy, I was just sad when it came to an end.........I'll never look at a MacDonalds drive through or surfing the net in the same way ever again.....

Tomorrow morning I shall forge ahead in my own little microcosm knowing that I am not alone in my pursuit of spiritual stimulation....May the bright light of excellence light your path to fulfillment....

Incidentally Floydy, my sixty press-ups are made up of three sets of twenty about five minutes apart each set.....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

06-01-2018, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Same here Floydy, I was just sad when it came to an end.........
Tomorrow morning I shall forge ahead in my own little microcosm knowing that I am not alone in my pursuit of spiritual stimulation....May the bright light of excellence light your path to fulfillment....

Incidentally Floydy, my sixty press-ups are made up of three sets of twenty about five minutes apart each set.....
Still good going though, Bob.

Page 97 of 370 « First < 47 87 95 96 97 98 99 107 147 197 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top