Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 10:18 PM

Re: Getting cash abroad

Mexico is a very dodgy place, tell him to be very careful.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2016, 10:38 PM

Have a look here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/adv...rchtype=guides
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

31-01-2016, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
How about he goes to a different bank and opens a new account? Put in a certain amount and take just that card away. If he needs more money, maybe he can request you to do a transfer?

However if he goes away soon there may not be time.

Prepaid cards attract fees, and you lose the money after awhile through non use.

I think travellers cheques are being phased out.
Good idea about opening another account - though actually I think right be better to take both cards in case one doesn't work for some reason! Though I know it isn't easy as it used be to open a new account because of money laundering.

I'll tell him to check what fees there are on prepaid cards.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

31-01-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
Mexico is a very dodgy place, tell him to be very careful.
Thanks - I have tried but will keep reminding him.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

31-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Have a look here
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/adv...rchtype=guides

Very useful link, thank you. Funnily enough I watched his Money Show yesterday in case there was anything relevant in it but the website will obviously cover a lot more.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by indenial ->
Thanks - I have tried but will keep reminding him.

If he stays in a hotel room tell him to put a chair under the door handle . The receptionists are sometimes in league with thugs who will break in and attack and rob people in the night .
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2016, 02:17 PM

One thing we learnt in Mexico, be very careful of the police, they really are corrupt. There were many Americans at our hotel, one particular couple had driven to Mexico. They got stopped by the police and asked if they were carrying drugs, they said no of course, because they were not. "then what is this?" asked the policemen, and promptly put a plastic bag with something in it on the roof of the car. It was then a case of bribing the police or being arrested and facing months in prison waiting for a trial. They paid up, 500 dollars. The couple related this story to us at dinner that evening. We were told it was common practice in Mexico.

Our tour rep there also had a problem with one of the tourists. The tourist had got drunk, got arrested, back-chatted the police, got laid out with a truncheon. He evidently spent 3 days in jail and got a very hefty fine.

I hasten to add we didn't have any problems at all, we spent a very pleasant month there. It's always as well to be aware of just how careful you need to be.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

31-01-2016, 06:13 PM

I'll definitely pass on those warnings Muddy. I can only hope his experience is the same as yours and not that of some other people.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 12:56 AM

Take a look on the caravan/motorhome sites, they are usually quite good for info on getting cash abroad.

Possibly a boat/yachting site as there are people sailing and they are away for months/years and have the same problems/worries your son may have or encounter.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2016, 08:42 AM

I've recently opened a Nationwide Flex Plus account which gives free cash withdrawals from ATM's abroad..........also travel insurance, phone insurance and car rescue and recovery. Sadly it costs £10 per mth, but it gives 3% interest up to £2500.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top