Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 11:43 AM

Re: Kit homes

Remember the pre-Fabs put up after the war? Some still lived in.

Noise ! We let a flat in a block of twelve and the tenant complained of noise from arguing couple, washing machines, and so on. The building was a steel frame with "insulating " panels forming walls and ceilings. Hard floors and high heels made the ideal combination.

Air borne noise and vibration or mechanical noise are a deadly duo...
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have to disagree Dongles, often poorly finished maybe by the mass builders but neither type of construction is unsubstantial if built correctly.
Poorly finished inside mainly I would say. I understand that new building methods are acceptable but try removing bathroom tiles from a stud wall without taking the wall with it, or re-fitting bannisters that have a gap between the plasterboard and the building blocks.

Much better to blunt all your masonry bits as I do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Dobra I have watched a number of programmes about kit homes, the best I have seen come from Germany.
I saw a documentary, several years ago now, about such kit homes from Germany being built.

I have to say I was impressed not only by their quality, but also by how quickly they could be put up.

They certainly weren't rubbish; they were made with high quality materials, and I think what impressed me most was how the components were so accurately made that they all fit together perfectly.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I saw a documentary, several years ago now, about such kit homes from Germany being built.

I have to say I was impressed not only by their quality, but also by how quickly they could be put up.

They certainly weren't rubbish; they were made with high quality materials, and I think what impressed me most was how the components were so accurately made that they all fit together perfectly.
Yes, that is very true JBR. They must have measured twice and cut once.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2018, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, that is very true JBR. They must have measured twice and cut once.
Even I do that!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top