Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Re: gutter check

Bungalow here too, and I too stand on my wife's shoulders but she does allow me the privilidge of wearing her Marigolds to protect my nails...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2018, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Bungalow here too, and I too stand on my wife's shoulders but she does allow me the privilidge of wearing her Marigolds to protect my nails...
We could set a trend here Barry......
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 11:16 AM

Back in the Eighties, we lived in a four bed bungalow and with the trees of the graveyard next door filling the gutters admirably. Luckily I could clean the from a pair of steps - four times a year Grrr.

At the time, I subscribed to an American magazine called Fine Homebuilding and a company in there advertised its Get Rid of Gutters product. So a roof with no gutters means rain drips off all roof edges. His product was alu and had six or more slats (a bit like a horizontal blind) and fixed about a few feet directly below the roof edge. The rain dropped on to these and atomised into a mist. I approached the company with a view of selling in Blighty, but he only sold in the US.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Back in the Eighties, we lived in a four bed bungalow and with the trees of the graveyard next door filling the gutters admirably. Luckily I could clean the from a pair of steps - four times a year Grrr.

At the time, I subscribed to an American magazine called Fine Homebuilding and a company in there advertised its Get Rid of Gutters product. So a roof with no gutters means rain drips off all roof edges. His product was alu and had six or more slats (a bit like a horizontal blind) and fixed about a few feet directly below the roof edge. The rain dropped on to these and atomised into a mist. I approached the company with a view of selling in Blighty, but he only sold in the US.

https://www.finehomebuilding.com
I can't see any details of that product on your link. However, I did do a bit of googling and found an alternative suggestion.

This was to do away with gutters completely and let the rainwater roll off the edge of the roof on to the ground. At ground level, a drainage channel was created and filled with pea gravel. The channel was laid out to capture the rainwater landing adjacent to the house and drain it away from the house foundations.

I suppose that, in the case of a single storey building, that could work unless there were high winds blowing the drips into the house walls and windows.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 02:05 PM

Here is a question.

No one else on my estate appears to have problems with things growing in their gutters but I had mine "cleared" earlier in the year when stuff was growing three feet high in them after previously having them done a couple of years ago. Now from the ground I can see the stuff growing again already.

No one else on the estate has this trouble, Any sensible ideas welcome.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 03:10 PM

I live in a semidetached bungalow and the gutters run across both houses with the downpipe on my neighbours side. He came and complained bitterly to me that his gutters were blocked where the gutter met his conservatory (it has to turn at a right angle along the conservatory and this was my landlord’s fault.

As he is always moaning about something or other, I contacted my Letting Agent and the men came, (the same company he had), this week to do the gutters. They were here ten minutes and said that the gutters were totally clear. They stated that the neighbour’s problem was with whoever construccted his conservatory asthey did not put in a down pipe.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2018, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Here is a question.

No one else on my estate appears to have problems with things growing in their gutters but I had mine "cleared" earlier in the year when stuff was growing three feet high in them after previously having them done a couple of years ago. Now from the ground I can see the stuff growing again already.

No one else on the estate has this trouble, Any sensible ideas welcome.
yes get a skyvac machine it is brilliant
This is the one i have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDe9XDnoPZ4

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top