Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 06:21 PM

Re: Scorch?

I have been away for a week as has my neighbour and have returned to find a desert

My lovely hydrangea has scorched leaves, most of the flowers have dropped off my runner beans and they are covered in aphids , my newly planted and nurtured strawberry plants in tubs were virtually dead and the fruits overripe and ruined, the raspberries have fruited and the fruit is over ripe and inedible

Worst of all the bucket of flowers with pinks and campanula that my grandchildren bought me for mothering sunday 2 years ago is all but dead in spite of my leaving it in a bowl of wet gravel. I have cut it back/fed it and hope I can get it back.
I am a northern girl and don't like this intense heat.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2018, 11:42 PM

It's so sad to see this damage being done after all our hard work and nuturing of all these plants.
I didn't know whether to throw some sheets of fleece over some to protect them.

Do you think that would shield them from the hottest sun, or make it worse?

We don't appear to be getting any rain all next week either.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It's so sad to see this damage being done after all our hard work and nuturing of all these plants.
I didn't know whether to throw some sheets of fleece over some to protect them.

Do you think that would shield them from the hottest sun, or make it worse?

We don't appear to be getting any rain all next week either.
Mups it may be worth a try to rig up dust sheet on some canes. I have cut my losses with some plants (a herbaceous geranium, delphiniums and canterbury bells ) and cut them to the ground. Better no foliage than dead.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 12:23 AM

Trouble is Meg, don't know about you, but it's too darned hot for me to stay outside and do much work, and in the evenings I get bitten to death by insects outside.

I wish we could have it slightly cooler, and a few nights of good rain fall.

I think we have a few days slight reprieve before it turns hot again, so perhaps try to rig something up then.

Sorry about your garden, what a damn shame to lose your stuff like that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, have had a couple of things burnt by the sun. I have been watering at night at around 9.30 and avoiding the leaves but I think the water is evaporating too fast. I sometimes have to water my beans during the day too as they start to wilt. the Acers are the main problem for me.
I don't wish to boast, but my Acers are thriving and I haven't watered them once! Mind you, they are planted close the the hidden well that is in my garden!
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Yes LQ, mine looks pretty grim too.
Console yourself with the fact we are all in it together,long may it continue,it'll rain soon enough and not stop more as like.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-07-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Console yourself with the fact we are all in it together,long may it continue,it'll rain soon enough and not stop more as like.

Yes, you're right I suppose, but I don't like seeing things I've been looking after get burnt or die.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2018, 06:30 PM

You and me both..so many hours spent nurturing plants in the garden and the cost...all gone..sad really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

09-07-2018, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You and me both..so many hours spent nurturing plants in the garden and the cost...all gone..sad really.

Yes, that's how I feel too Rehab.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

09-07-2018, 06:42 PM

Trouble is Meg, don't know about you, but it's too darned hot for me to stay outside and do much work, and in the evenings I get bitten to death by insects outside.

I wish we could have it slightly cooler, and a few nights of good rain fall.

I think we have a few days slight reprieve before it turns hot again, so perhaps try to rig something up then.

Sorry about your garden, what a damn shame to lose your stuff like that.
Thanks Mups
I have been going out in the evening and the early morning and seem to have escaped the mozzies. I think it has been too hot and dry even for them to come out. They like a bit of moisture.
My Hydrangea is looking better, I thought it had gone

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top