Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:37 PM

raised white blood cells

As some may remember, on Saturday I had to call an ambulance due to chest pain and feeling dreadful. I also have been having a really bad heavy pain in my face prior to that. I mentioned the face pain but 2 doctors just dismissed my concerns.

The hospital ran tests for the chest pain, the ECG was fine although showed scar tissue?? and initially the doctor thought it could have been a problem with my heart but the blood test came back negative. He repeated the blood test and that also came back negative which obviously I was relieved.

I think the doctors didn't know what was wrong as no diagnosis was made and I was sent home.

I was ok for a couple of days then yesterday I started with the pain in my face again and a horrendous headache and I was really light headed. The pain was excruciating in my head and I never slept a wink last night and I almost called an ambulance again. I managed till morning and went to the doctors this morning.

He told me when I had my blood test at the hospital the results had come back with raised white blood cells so he wants to run more blood tests. He was surprised the hospital never told me about the raised levels because I had needed another blood test. I have to wait not for the results.

He prescribed amitriptylene as he thinks the pain in my face is due to nerve pain and I took one (said take 2) this morning and my goodness it has knocked me for six, really knocking me out and feeling very spaced out until the effect wore off. I hate taking tablets but I'm so grateful the headache has subsided and I was able to get some sleep, I've been sleeping all day and only just got up! I dread to think how 2 would have affected me.

On top of all that I've now got diarrhoea which is a side effect, (sorry, I know that's gross)

I'm really fed up, it's horrible feeling poorly, I dread to think how poor Ffosse and others who have chemo must feel because this is awful but nothing on the scale as to how the chemo affects them.

I will be so glad to get back to normal, if ever I was normal that is.

I'm not sure what raised white cell count means but I sure hope it bogs off soon!

Thanks for listening, sometimes we just need someone to talk to and let off steam, I hate worrying my husband and family, especially my Dad, unfortunately I've had to tell him I'm unwell because I couldn't go today and now he's worrying
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:49 PM

Re: raised white blood cells

Goodness, LQ, I hope they find the reason for the symptoms soon. Pain in the face could be Bells Palsy, but the white blood cell diagnosis is worrisome. Hoping ypu get relief soon.

Keep us posted, we care about you.xx
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Right Now ->
Goodness, LQ, I hope they find the reason for the symptoms soon. Pain in the face could be Bells Palsy, but the white blood cell diagnosis is worrisome. Hoping ypu get relief soon.

Keep us posted, we care about you.xx
Thanks RN, my Doctor did initially mention that it could be Bells Palsy although I don't have the droopy face so perhaps not. Guess I'll have to wait an see what the blood says, I will keep you posted, thanks for caring xxx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:12 PM

I hope the doctors can find soon out the cause of this and begin some treatment for you, LQ.

Hoping you'll feel better soon...
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
As some may remember, on Saturday I had to call an ambulance due to chest pain and feeling dreadful. I also have been having a really bad heavy pain in my face prior to that. I mentioned the face pain but 2 doctors just dismissed my concerns.

The hospital ran tests for the chest pain, the ECG was fine although showed scar tissue?? and initially the doctor thought it could have been a problem with my heart but the blood test came back negative. He repeated the blood test and that also came back negative which obviously I was relieved.

I think the doctors didn't know what was wrong as no diagnosis was made and I was sent home.

I was ok for a couple of days then yesterday I started with the pain in my face again and a horrendous headache and I was really light headed. The pain was excruciating in my head and I never slept a wink last night and I almost called an ambulance again. I managed till morning and went to the doctors this morning.

He told me when I had my blood test at the hospital the results had come back with raised white blood cells so he wants to run more blood tests. He was surprised the hospital never told me about the raised levels because I had needed another blood test. I have to wait not for the results.

He prescribed amitriptylene as he thinks the pain in my face is due to nerve pain and I took one (said take 2) this morning and my goodness it has knocked me for six, really knocking me out and feeling very spaced out until the effect wore off. I hate taking tablets but I'm so grateful the headache has subsided and I was able to get some sleep, I've been sleeping all day and only just got up! I dread to think how 2 would have affected me.

On top of all that I've now got diarrhoea which is a side effect, (sorry, I know that's gross)

I'm really fed up, it's horrible feeling poorly, I dread to think how poor Ffosse and others who have chemo must feel because this is awful but nothing on the scale as to how the chemo affects them.

I will be so glad to get back to normal, if ever I was normal that is.

I'm not sure what raised white cell count means but I sure hope it bogs off soon!

Thanks for listening, sometimes we just need someone to talk to and let off steam, I hate worrying my husband and family, especially my Dad, unfortunately I've had to tell him I'm unwell because I couldn't go today and now he's worrying
Lion, amitriptyline is an antidepressant.

Amitriptyline can cause dizziness and drowsiness during the first few hours after you take it. If you notice drowsiness while you take this drug, your doctor may have you take your dose at bedtime.

Sometimes they give you that when you have shingles also, as stress can make things like this worse.

It sounds to me, like you have neuralgia in your face. I had it, and needed to take Lyrica for it. I got rid of it in no time, like about a month on Lyrica....

Neuralgia intense, typically intermittent pain along the course of a nerve, especially in the head or face. This is very painful Lion but it is not serious. Caused by the nerve in your face, and sometimes coming from the brain which also causes bad headaches. I think he is trying to get you to calm down a bit as stress really gives our system a real kick in the butt....

All the best Lion, I will be thinking of you and praying you feel better soon....
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 10:40 PM

OMG my lovely friend.
My thoughts and prayers go to you.
Do keep us posted please.
I think you know how I worry. X
Beautiful Filly
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
Beautiful Filly is female  Beautiful Filly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:21 PM

Lion Queen...I am thinking of you. Having anything out of the ordinary wrong health wise, can certainly be worrisome...
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:34 PM

The elevated white cell count could be merely because you are fighting off an infection of some sort. As long as they return to normal levels you should have nothing to worry about but keep an eye on the levels just to make sure.

ETA. This could be linked to the problems you had with your ear mentioned in a previous post?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The elevated white cell count could be merely because you are fighting off an infection of some sort. As long as they return to normal levels you should have nothing to worry about but keep an eye on the levels just to make sure.

That's exactly what I thought too, Judd.

LQ, when you had the blood taken before and the white cells were raised, I can't understand why no one contacted you to go back and have further tests?

I am sure you will be fine once they find out the problem. Try not to get carried away with possible diagnosis, best be patient and let them do their job, else you will be worrying about things that may never happen.

Good luck, hope the tests go well and you will soon feel very much better. x x
orangutan2
Ireland
orangutan2 is female 

22-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Lion, amitriptyline is an antidepressant.
It is not just an antidepressant, and low dose amitriptyline is often the first line treatment for neuralgia.

Re the white blood cells being raised, by far the most likely explanation is the presence of recent infection, unless the raised level is HUGE.

Hope you feel better soon LQ, and get to the bottom of it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top