Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:40 PM

Home made wine

I have only tried to make wine once, it was in the 1990's.
I forgot to clear some of it, and my babysitter drank it
I think I used a kit from Boots.
But, in the past, I have drunk the proper homemade stuff.
I remember drinking Bannnana wine, actually, I only remember the name and nothing else.

So have you made wine?
Or do you have stories of trying it?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:00 AM

Re: Home made wine

I remember my aunt and uncle making wine when I stayed with them one summer as a child. They had these massive glass jar things with a little valve in the top that would release a bubble every so often. It was fascinating to watch this live experiment and I could hear the bubbles pop when I was falling asleep in the next room. Goodness knows what they were making it from, I think it was something like redcurrants or some similar berry that they had grown oodles of on their allotment. I never got to taste it but I wasn't too curious at that age.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I remember my aunt and uncle making wine when I stayed with them one summer as a child. They had these massive glass jar things with a little valve in the top that would release a bubble every so often. It was fascinating to watch this live experiment and I could hear the bubbles pop when I was falling asleep in the next room. Goodness knows what they were making it from, I think it was something like redcurrants or some similar berry that they had grown oodles of on their allotment. I never got to taste it but I wasn't too curious at that age.
Yes, I think they are called demijohn's, don't laugh AnnieS.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

26-08-2018, 12:30 AM

My Dad had a still in his shed. It was some contraption made from an old pressure cooker. It was utilized to use the bad wine - I think
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:53 AM

For 30 years I made home-brewed wine and beer by the bucketful, using both "foraged" ingredients and kits.

My favourite "natural" wines were dandelion and elderflower and my favourite beer was anything in a barrel .....
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 02:08 AM

I vaguely remember a bunch of us spent 2 days collecting wild pink rose petals, back in the 1960's, and making wine from it. All I remember is that the wine tasted just like roses smell.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:03 AM

Before my Husband and I got married we made loads of wine, used to store them in my Mum's flat.

We made:

Mixed Fruit Wine.
Rhubarb Wine.
Potato Wine.
Elderberry Wine.
FridgeMagnet
Loch Lomond & Trossachs National Park
FridgeMagnet is male  FridgeMagnet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:06 AM

When my wife & I got married in 1970. My new father in law who was a builder, through a contact of his, wangled us a rent free caretakers job in a large house on the East London/Essex borders that was due for demolition. At the back of the house was a large conservatory dominated by just one huge ‘thing’ growing out of one corner! This thing turned out to be a grape vine, which at the appropriate time produced an almighty bumper crop of lovely dark red grapes. By today’s prices, about £300-£400 worth! I had never made wine before although my mother had done so for years. So I split the harvest with her and bought several demijohns and all the other stuff from Boots the chemists and went into production.
My mother never bothered with all the paraphernalia and still made some amazing wine. My first attempt I think was a reasonable success, and I have dabbled every now & again since.
It seems that Boots no longer sell wine making equipment, but Wilkos appear to have taken over with abundant enthusiasm!
I have made elder flower and elderberry wine. But my greatest success was a claret from a concentrate. It was absolutely spot on with taste & bouquet.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 09:19 AM

I used to make 'country wines'. I still have hundreds of recipes for them all. The most potent one I made was from Parsnip - that was absolutely lethal !!!

On the day of the 'total eclipse' in 1999 everyone was sitting on the grass by the old roman camp above Brighton waiting and watching for the eclipse. I, on the other hand, plastic bucket in hand was rummaging through the bushes picking blackberries to make both blackberry wine and blackberry gin. Both went down very well with my friends at the next party I was invited to.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

26-08-2018, 10:56 AM

Lovely posts thank-you all.
Does anyone have any recipes for me to try?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top