Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Settling In

Hi

Silver Tabby kindly asked how I was settling in, so decided to start a thread, which will no doubt continue for some while as things change.

Life is very different now, first time in 41 years I have not lived in a detached, so the odd noise from next door is still a novelty.

The stars are not as bright, all the light pollution and the nights are definitely noisier.

The water tastes different, it is horrible, very chemically in taste, even affects the coffee.

I was going to get a larger TV, but mine has suddenly grown, probably due to the fact that the living room is much narrower than my old one.

I am getting far more exercise climbing stairs here, there is only one loo and that is upstairs.

A big difference is having radiators, forgot how much wall space they take up, very restrictive compared to underfloor.

The big thing at the moment is washing up, a novel experience after decades if a dishwasher.

The washing machine is in the kitchen, next to the sink, no room for a dishwasher and tumble drier, my big project to do.

I have no garage and the saddest and strangest thing is that my fishing tackle is in a storage unit 11 miles away, I need a secure shed and get it here pronto.

That all for now, more will follow.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:17 AM

Re: Settling In

Good to hear that you are settling in Swim, give it a couple of weeks and you won't miss the dishwasher one bit. We've never had one, just something else to break down when you need it most. Sorry to hear about your fishing tackle being so far away, can you not find a small space for it in house until you can obtain a shed?
There's something reassuring about having neighbours next door, especially when you run out of milk or sugar....
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:21 AM

Takes a while to settle in to a new home, I still sometimes think Im in a holiday home and Ive been here 12 years

You can get a counter top dishwasher if theres any counter space near the sink. I had one for years and loved it
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 11:43 AM

It must be quite a difference for you coming from a nice quite Country to a busy area with traffic and noise.

As for the Dishwasher I have never had one, I just get the OH to do the washing up.

You will get used to it once again.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Bet you're feeling less stressed Swims.
Half the fun has to be deciding where to put things in your new home.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Bet you're feeling less stressed Swims.
Half the fun has to be deciding where to put things in your new home.
Hi

Much less stressed now thanks Morti, although looking at my ruined aquarium s not good.

My furniture was big and brown, made things look small and dingy, so swapping it, out with the old, in with the new, it is very therapeutic.

The good thing is the snow white carpets so beloved by my Ex are now a thing of the past.

I am just back from the charity shop and the last of the duck egg blue cushions, throws etc have now gone.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 01:16 PM

Very good for raising the spirits I should think .. .. getting rid of unwanted baggage.

And think of the fun picking new ... to reflect you.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Much less stressed now thanks Morti, although looking at my ruined aquarium s not good.

My furniture was big and brown, made things look small and dingy, so swapping it, out with the old, in with the new, it is very therapeutic.

The good thing is the snow white carpets so beloved by my Ex are now a thing of the past.

I am just back from the charity shop and the last of the duck egg blue cushions, throws etc have now gone.

Snow white carpets don't stay that way long, we replaced the ones in our present property, with dark brown ones, not that long after we moved in.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Swims did you know you can get small counter top dishwashers?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=co...obile&ie=UTF-8
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-09-2018, 01:32 PM

It will get better Swims, I don't even notice the dog behind barking all day now or nextdoors' flush, their coughing at 7am when they're outside vaping still annoys a bit though
I just tell myself I have the rest of my life to sort stuff out, hopefully a while yet.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top