Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:36 PM

Tug Boats

I'm baffled by tug boats.

Can someone explain how tug boats can tug a huge liner or any other large vessel?

Compared to what they're 'tugging' they are minute.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Re: Tug Boats

Tug Boats are the Beast. They pack huge power in small size.
Normally they have towing power of minimum 40T to 120T.
The credit actually goes to water. Water hardly provides any opposite force for Tugs to push or pull big ships.
Even a small 20T Tug can easily tow a standard panamax. only thing is that it will happen at very slow pace. The Tugs have one job, they have to churn enough water to create thrust which can displace or move ship. Remember, anchored ships are easily moved by sea waves, Tugs are way more powerful than that.
When a ship is anchored, normally it moves in circle because of the waves, instead of staying put at one place.
All the Tug has to do is break the inertia of the vessel and start the movement. Once this starts, it's an easy job from there.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 08:58 PM

It's momentum and the support of the water, Pesta. It takes the engine to get it going and then it's plain sailing!

Another example. Those strongmen pulling a plane or a huge truck. True, they are muscular guys, but after the effort put in the start the pulling, the actual moving the object is much lesser an effort. I've done it myself with admittedly a smaller vehicle.

Look at ants carrying leaves fifty times bigger than they are.

Good thread actually - how many examples can people think of?

Go on Realist, give us the physics......
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Tug Boats are the Beast. They pack huge power in small size.
Normally they have towing power of minimum 40T to 120T.
The credit actually goes to water. Water hardly provides any opposite force for Tugs to push or pull big ships.
Even a small 20T Tug can easily tow a standard panamax. only thing is that it will happen at very slow pace. The Tugs have one job, they have to churn enough water to create thrust which can displace or move ship. Remember, anchored ships are easily moved by sea waves, Tugs are way more powerful than that.
When a ship is anchored, normally it moves in circle because of the waves, instead of staying put at one place.
All the Tug has to do is break the inertia of the vessel and start the movement. Once this starts, it's an easy job from there.
Gosh Roxy, you are knowledgeable! What a great explanation. Thanks for that - now I understand! Simple really I suppose.

I have to say it's baffled me for years
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

19-09-2018, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's momentum and the support of the water, Pesta. It takes the engine to get it going and then it's plain sailing!

Another example. Those strongmen pulling a plane or a huge truck. True, they are muscular guys, but after the effort put in the start the pulling, the actual moving the object is much lesser an effort. I've done it myself with admittedly a smaller vehicle.

Look at ants carrying leaves fifty times bigger than they are.

Good thread actually - how many examples can people think of?

Go on Realist, give us the physics......

Good reply too Floydy... I see that now, get the motion and it's plain sailing .. thanks sunshine

Gosh, I feel thick. I'm ashamed - I like to think I'm so logical and I obviously ain't
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2018, 09:15 PM

I see Tuggies in use up here a lot, that's how I know a wee bit about them.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

19-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I see Tuggies in use up here a lot, that's how I know a wee bit about them.
I'm impressed Roxy
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.

19-09-2018, 10:40 PM

My O. H. may be a Farmer but he loves boats, rattles on about them at every chance. Lol.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 09:44 AM

There is a bloke at the stern with a long pole, singing ole sole mio, and pushing like a demented rhino on LSD.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 10:02 AM

A little like in the days of horse drawn barges, one horse can move a boat weighing many times its own weight due to the minimum resistance of water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top