Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 06:56 PM

Re: Planting Bulbs.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
I never thought you had to dig up lily bulbs,Nicol,do they get bigger each year?..if you dig them up?

I do remember though,leaving tulips in a tub,expecting them to come up the next year,the leaves came up,but no flowers,any idea why?..
Your tub might not have been big enough / deep enough to insulate the bulbs and protect them from the frost. The fact that leaves came up but no flowers suggests that the tub doesn’t offer enough protection so the bulbs got damaged.

My tiger lilies and asiatic lilies are all perennial.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 07:19 PM

Here you go Pauline. I do have pictures.
Unfortunately I deleted this spring’s flowers but I copied pics off my old phone from last year’s bulbs . They aren’t great pictures but for now they are all I can find.

And I know pansies are bulbs but they’re so spring like and pretty so I usually have a bunch of these baskets

Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 07:30 PM

I never thought you had to dig up lily bulbs,Nicol,do they get bigger each year?..if you dig them up?

I do remember though,leaving tulips in a tub,expecting them to come up the next year,the leaves came up,but no flowers,any idea why?..
Errrrmmmmmmmm, it's advisable to dig them up if they're going to get waterlogged over winter or if your winters are very, very harsh. The reason I dug mine up is because they were too big for the planter, I didn't realise how big they would get

With most bulbs you have to leave the annoying, scraggy looking leaves attached to the plant, even after the flowers are finished, as the leaves absorb the sunshine and feed the bulbs. If you cut the leaves off too soon they won't flower next year.

Another problem is maybe poor compost that needs feeding. I usually top dress my bulb pots each year and add slow release fertiliser.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 07:37 PM

Here's the lillies, you can't see the container but it's far too shallow to sustain them, they were very big and I managed to cut the top off the picture

Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

20-09-2018, 08:08 PM

Sorry ! I hadn’t noticed this was directed at Nicol
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No bulbs here, I find they are over too quickly.
I have planted lots of scented dwarf wallflowers, cream and orange and primulas. They should flower for weeks

I am trying the dwarf wallflowers this year too, Meg.
I have grown them myself and had almost 100 germinate and grow to make nice little plants.
I gave some to a friend as I didn't need that many.
They are about ready to plant out now.

I also have grown 45 mixed Primroses and quite a few Pansies, so I have got plenty to be getting on with planting them all out now.

With Tulips, I love those tall fringed ones, especially the pure white ones. They remind me swans wings.

I always have some Hyacinths and Amaryllis indoors around Christmas time too.

I do love to see the spring bulbs, but get frustrated at how long you have to leave the greenery to die down after flowering, they look such a mess at that stage.

These were some pretty little ones in a pot last year.

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Here you go Pauline. I do have pictures.
Unfortunately I deleted this spring’s flowers but I copied pics off my old phone from last year’s bulbs . They aren’t great pictures but for now they are all I can find.

And I know pansies are bulbs but they’re so spring like and
pretty so I usually have a bunch of these baskets

What a beautiful show!!.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Here's the lillies, you can't see the container but it's far too shallow to sustain them, they were very big and I managed to cut the top off the picture

Gosh!,they are huge,Nicol,..very pretty.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

20-09-2018, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am trying the dwarf wallflowers this year too, Meg.
I have grown them myself and had almost 100 germinate and grow to make nice little plants.
I gave some to a friend as I didn't need that many.
They are about ready to plant out now.

I also have grown 45 mixed Primroses and quite a few Pansies, so I have got plenty to be getting on with planting them all out now.

With Tulips, I love those tall fringed ones, especially the pure white ones. They remind me swans wings.

I always have some Hyacinths and Amaryllis indoors around

Christmas time too.

I do love to see the spring bulbs, but get frustrated at how long you have to leave the greenery to die down after flowering, they look such a mess at that stage.

These were some pretty little ones in a pot last year.

Very pretty,Mups,I had a beautiful Amaryllis last year,I also buy Hyacinths as well,they have a beautiful perfume.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

20-09-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
Errrrmmmmmmmm, it's advisable to dig them up if they're going to get waterlogged over winter or if your winters are very, very harsh. The reason I dug mine up is because they were too big for the planter, I didn't realise how big they would get

With most bulbs you have to leave the annoying, scraggy looking leaves attached to the plant, even after the flowers are finished, as the leaves absorb the sunshine and feed the bulbs. If you cut the leaves off too soon they won't flower next year.

Another problem is maybe poor compost that needs feeding. I usually top dress my bulb pots each year and add slow release fertiliser.

Looking back,because they were in pots,I reckon the frost got them,as the earth would have froze,..I can't wait to plant my bulbs,then post pics of them next year.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top