Join for free
Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 10 11 12
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 01:53 AM

Re: This awful weather

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Take heart everyone...you could be living on the east coast of America right now. Count your blessings!

You're a bit late ruthio. Look at post 102.

They've just said at least 17 people have now died, and there are 11 states declared 'Emergency.'
Road, rail and air travel have stopped, and all travel has now been banned.
Over 30" of snow has fallen in places in 24 hrs. It is still snowing hard at this moment, and the wind is blowing it bad now too.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 07:53 AM

Hope everyone is safe.

I don't know whether there are people in here in the affected area.
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:15 PM

It is pretty bad in US, without doubt, but I wonder how many remember the winter of 1946/47 in UK. I was 5 years old at the time, but remember opening the door of the house in Bradford to see a wall of snow almost up to the top of the doorway. The downstairs windows were obscured by drifting snow, and we were unable to leave the house for at least two days.
If you search online for 'winter of 47', you will find a detailed report of the effects of that winter - fuel and food shortages due to transport problems, factory output lost, services shut down and life in general coming to a halt.
I was serving in the Royal Navy in the 1960's, and was in Malta in 1962, enjoying my first overseas posting. I returned to UK in December 1962, to the extreme cold of January to March 1963,
when the temperature barely rose above freezing for 3 months.
The cold conditions did not make any difference to the RN tradition of parade ground divisions and marching, and after the joy of a year in Malta, it was particularly hard to spend an hour on the parade ground with your feet so cold that you had lost all feeling. I was at the RN air station at Lee on Solent finishing my training, and we were pretty much 'confined to barracks' due to travel difficulties.
As with the winter of 47, there is plenty of information online about this period, for those who did not experience it.
At that time, we didn't have central heating, and if you didn't have coal or wood to burn on your fire, you went cold.
There is a well worn saying that UK has the world's worst weather but the world's best climate, - thank goodness that we rarely have real extremes of weather.
Today in Bristol, we have 14C temperature! Not bad for January
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:16 PM

No, the UK does not have the world's worst weather, we only have a few bad weather events compared with plenty of other places.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Not the world's worst weather, although possibly the world's most depressing weather...

Page 12 of 12 « First < 2 10 11 12

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top