Join for free
Page 19 of 26 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 01:27 PM

Re: Windows 10

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
W7 is no longer supported by Microsoft and so is susceptible to problems
Originally Posted by Realist ->
The fact that a given piece of software goes out of support does not mean it suddenly manifests itself with all manner of problems. A lot of software goes on working just fine for many many years after going out of support.

Windows 7 works just fine. I see no reason at all to progress beyond it until such time as the powers that be, engineer everything else such that Windows 7 stops working for all general usage.

I'd be interested to hear what people are specifically going to make use of in Windows 10 that they didn't have in 7.
I hadn't realised that Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft. Strange, really, because only yesterday I performed a Windows update on my old (standby) W7 laptop. Admittedly, it took a lot longer than it used to do, but nevertheless upgrade it did.

I agree that Windows 7 still works just fine. It has been claimed that W10 is quicker than W7 which, in my case, is perfectly true, although that may have something to do with the fact that my W10 laptop is new and my W7 laptop is several years old and is not as highly specified.

Apart from that, I can't really think of anything important that the one does and the other does not.
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 03:07 PM

If we didn't update as new versions come along, we would still be using Windows 95, so it is inevitable in the long run. I have two laptops, a Novatech that came with Win7 and a Fujitsu that came with Win8. They have the same spec for processor speed and Ram. I have upgraded the Fujitsu to 10, and it was quite seamless. It now boots up in less than 30 seconds and is much faster in every way. It is not difficult to make it look much same as Win7, but there is a learning curve for some things.
I have tried to upgrade my Novatech machine several times, and on each occasion it has worked for a few days then crashed, usually requiring complete reformat and clean install of the original Win7, followed by getting all the updates.
I have not managed to resolve the difficulty with this machine, but will keep trying. I would be interested to hear from anyone else with a Novatech machine with the same problem.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2016, 07:44 AM

I have decided to download W10 from the MS website and am now beginning the installation process on my old[ish] laptop.
So......watch this space !
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2016, 09:35 AM

seems to be stuck on 'checking for updates' for the last half hour....may have to abandon the operation, very disappointing !
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2016, 10:11 AM

Did post on this thread that when it came out I down loaded it but had problems first with no sound and it kept on freezing., so reverted back to W7.

Did realize I will HAVE to have this system in the future so 3 months later redownload it again

No problems this time a lot faster and a lot better than W7.

You will have up to July to get it for free after that you will have to payŁ119 or buy a new computer.

Do like the added security against hackers that it offers.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

22-04-2016, 10:23 AM

seems to be stuck on 'checking for updates' for the last half hour....may have to abandon the operation, very disappointing !
seems to be working again....fingers crossed
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2016, 11:26 AM

seems to be working again....fingers crossed
Good. As I said earlier, my experience is that downloading updates using Windows 7 seems to have become ridiculously slow and, presumably, this would be the same for downloading Windows 10.

I've heard that slowing down Windows 7 might be Microsoft's way of trying to persuade us all to change to Windows 10!
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

22-04-2016, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I've heard that slowing down Windows 7 might be Microsoft's way of trying to persuade us all to change to Windows 10!
I don't know how they would go about that ... they are good but not magicians !

My installation is now 36% complete.....this is a long job !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

22-04-2016, 01:51 PM

I don't know how they would go about that ... they are good but not magicians !

My installation is now 36% complete.....this is a long job !
It has been suggested that the servers which supply updates to W7 computers has been deliberately slowed down or access limited in some way. Not difficult to accomplish, I'd have thought.

Of course, I have no evidence to support that, but I have read it in a number of places.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2016, 01:55 PM

I have now got Windows 10, I was on W8.1 but was having a lot of problems with that, the W10, seems to be alright at the moment.

Page 19 of 26 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top