Join for free
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2016, 10:21 PM

Days of Skiffle

Just watched the program with Jim Carter reminiscing about the master of Skiffle, Lonnie Donegan. If you were a teenager in the 50's, the advent of Skiffle was something wonderful. The program showed people playing tea chest bass and washboard, which brought back so many wonderful memories. I played in a Skiffle group, but since I couldn't afford to buy a guitar, I was the one who ended up with the washboard and the home made bass. I had one made from a tea chest and another from a corrugated wash tub. We actually got paid for playing all of Lonnie's hits, and other Skifle numbers.
Happy days, except for the bit when we had to travel to the gig on a Bradford trolley bus, and I had to get my washtub under the stairs on the bus!!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 10:55 AM

Re: Days of Skiffle

I watched this programme , and found it very interesting .
You must have got some funny looks getting on the bus with the wash tub ..

My dad use to play a tune on a comb with thin tobacco paper over it , and of course the Spoons .
Seadog
Bristol Uk
Seadog is male  Seadog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2016, 03:12 PM

Re: Days of Skiffle

It wasn't,t just the washtub that got the looks - the drainpipe trousers, bootlace tie, DA hairstyle with Tony Curtis quiff all played a part !!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top