Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

25-04-2016, 09:56 AM

Re: Is It Time.

Originally Posted by TessA ->
With all the advancement in technology, is there any need for anyone to see a wild animal in real life?
Especially when it has to be confined and taken far out of its natural habitat?
I'll never forget the polar bear at Bristol Zoo! Sadest creature on Earth!
With all the sex on TV and the internet, does that also question is there are any need for anyone to see or keep a woman for sport and entertainment
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Bird ringing is controversial, however it can be useful to find out how some birds migrate. I have returned several sightings of colour ringed birds over the years.

I can see both side of the argument in this case Nom, for and against ringing.
I used to ring some of my birds, mainly geese, ducks and aviary birds like budgies, but sometimes I needed to ring a broody hen too to ensure the right bird went back to her eggs after she'd been out to stretch her legs. If another hen wanted to lay, she would often try to lay her egg in the nice warm nest the broody had temporarily vacated, and mother would come back and either not be able to get back on her eggs as the intruder was there, or else she would have a fresh egg added and without candling them all again, I may not know which egg to remove. (If that makes sense).

I have however, known birds to get caught up in twigs etc because of the ring.
Regarding cameras, I can understand why it's done sometimes, but I wish they would use more discreet ones. I have seen some animals trying to go about their business with a camera nearly as big as them fixed to their body!
No doubt they could also get caught up on brambles also?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Aafak ->
With all the sex on TV and the internet, does that also question is there are any need for anyone to see or keep a woman for sport and entertainment

How many men do you know who keep a woman 'for sport or entertainment'?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can see both side of the argument in this case Nom, for and against ringing.
I used to ring some of my birds, mainly geese, ducks and aviary birds like budgies, but sometimes I needed to ring a broody hen too to ensure the right bird went back to her eggs after she'd been out to stretch her legs. If another hen wanted to lay, she would often try to lay her egg in the nice warm nest the broody had temporarily vacated, and mother would come back and either not be able to get back on her eggs as the intruder was there, or else she would have a fresh egg added and without candling them all again, I may not know which egg to remove. (If that makes sense).

I have however, known birds to get caught up in twigs etc because of the ring.
Just a question Mups did you pinion your birds.?
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

25-04-2016, 10:11 AM

How many men do you know who 'keep a woman for sport or entertainment'?
Dozens of such men in my lifetime, some many such ladies. Even for the English Man it is popular.

Worse in Yorkshire men keep pigeons and ferrets for sport, some down their trousers I am told
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-04-2016, 10:12 AM

Just a question Mups did you pinion your birds.?

No. I would never do that, it is cruel IMO.
One breed of duck I loved was the little Call Ducks, and how they love to fly. I used to get great pleasure from seeing them take off and then skim across the water to land again. They never flew away so I would never have denied them flight.
I had a few peacocks too (7 of 'em), and they needed to fly into the trees at night to stay safe. Mind you, that didn't stop Mr.Fox waiting for them to come down early in the mornings!
He killed my white female, and her 'husband' - Eric- was never the same after that.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 10:13 AM

How many men do you know who keep a woman 'for sport or entertainment'?
An interesting question Mups, I can't wait to hear the answer
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2016, 10:14 AM

No. I would never do that, it is cruel IMO.
One breed of duck I loved was the little Call Ducks, and how they love to fly. I used to get great pleasure from seeing them take off and then skim across the water to land again. They never flew away so I would never have denied them flight.
I had a few peacocks too (7 of 'em), and they needed to fly into the trees at night to stay safe. Mind you, that didn't stop Mr.Fox waiting for them to come down early in the mornings!
He killed my white female, and her 'husband' - Eric- was never the same after that.
So as they stayed around were they imprinted on you. ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-04-2016, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Aafak ->
Dozens of such men in my lifetime, some many such ladies. Even for the English Man it is popular.

Worse in Yorkshire men keep pigeons and ferrets for sport, some down their trousers I am told

You mix with some strange people then Aafak.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-04-2016, 10:22 AM

So as they stayed around were they imprinted on you. ?

No, probably not as most of the ducks were hatched naturally by their mothers, so they would not have imprinted on me.
Maybe they just stayed around because they were happy with quite alot of others around - and they were fed, watered and safe.
I had to be more careful the geese didn't imprint. I'll try and find some pictures for you when I get chance.
I kept Lavender Muscovies too, funny old things, and as usual, I got very fond of them as well.

Sometimes I popped a couple of duck eggs under a broody hen though which confused things, as the hen would get quite distraught when her baby took to the water.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top