Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 05:29 PM

Re: Garages

I've had a mixture of attached and detached. Much prefer the attached ones as they don't seem to let the damp in and were always there for the extra space if I'd wanted to extend into.

This one is detached and isn't too bad re damp as it gets the sun through the windows. But things smell damp, like old books I'm storing and my old vinyl records (which are in plastic boxes)
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 06:03 PM

Yes I have a garage, mines not attached to the house ,it's at the bottom of the garden ,as I live on a corner its accessed from the road that runs alongside , every car I've owned since we've lived here ( 27 years) has been garaged in it my car is never left outside , recently we had the roof fiberglassed and a new metal side door fitted, it also has an automatic door,which is handy in bad weather
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 07:34 PM

My garage, not attached, is packed with books and furniture waiting to be sorted and I now have my daughters boxes of grandson's clothes, toys and other stuff she has no room for.
No way would we ever get a car in there.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2016, 07:39 PM

I used to put the car into the garage when I had a nosy neighbour who always came round if she knew I was in. Since she left we cant put the car away as it is so full junk that we are too lazy to take to the tip.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 09:38 AM

I can get my car in the garage but have to squeeze sideways to get out . My garage sits empty all year unless it's going to freeze .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 09:48 AM

I have one detached garage, l could do with another but l live in the Green Belt and couldn't get planning permission for another.
My garage houses my ride on mower with grassbox, some garden tools and two of my daughter's junk from when they were at universities!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 09:56 AM

Not a garage as such, but living on my partner's farm most of the time I use an old barn for my car. but only in the winter to keep the snow off it. It shares with himself's jeep and a tractor..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye ->
My insurance company asked if I had a Garage for my Car and I said yes, which is true. Fact is, it is too small, used for garden tools and at the bottom of very steep drive, so the car never goes in it.
I would very much check the policy you have because it might well state on there that the car is garaged overnight. If so, you will have invalidated your insurance that being incorrect.

It doesn't matter what you said at the time on the phone, that's purely a filtering mechanism to arrive at the right quotation price. What actually matters is the policy document which you sign up to. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that EVERYTHING on that policy is correct and if not, to notify the insurance company. Failure to do so may well invalidate the policy. If your car gets stolen off the drive and the assessor comes out to inspect how they broke into the garage, you sir, will be in a spot of bother.
Aafak
The Black Country
Aafak is male 

28-04-2016, 10:09 AM

Sounds about correct so far. Garages are for putting cars in for two reasons. One to have the manners not to turn streets and properties into eyesores for other people who live in them and second to protect the car. The car being the most valued item in the house, often paid for by loans and then just left outside , thousands of pounds left outside , peoples mentality and how lazy they can be is mind boggling .
In the 1987 Storm, flying roof tiles wrote off two of our cars, a lesson learn't. Even more important for some who have been stupid enough to invalidated the terms of their car insurance by saying the car is kept in a garage, so they can save a couple of pounds.
When I buy a house the first thing I look for is a large garage. At the moment I am looking for another property, not in the UK and it seems I will need to have a decent garage built, unless I am lucky. It must hold at least four cars and I want marble polished floors , immaculate perfection as a garage should be.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2016, 10:10 AM

I used to diligently store my car every night without fail and I believe that more than anything else allowed me to keep the car in good shape for 15 years. Things moved on though and once I became savvy on prepping/long term food storage and basic sensible precautions for any kind of national disaster, I knew I needed the space. So now the garage has modulated shelving and lots of plastic boxes all containing a variety of long term food and other necessities (ask yourself how long you could survive without toilet paper if the shops run dry !!!!).

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top