Join for free
Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 10:33 AM

Re: Burqa ban

The main reason to have a ban is that we just don't know 'who' is behind that burqa !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 10:44 AM

That assumes we have a right to know who everyone is, I would say we don't really, we should be allowed to not show our faces unless challenged by police etc at this rate we will be saying no veils at all and that would be sad IMO.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
That assumes we have a right to know who everyone is, I would say we don't really, we should be allowed to not show our faces unless challenged by police etc at this rate we will be saying no veils at all and that would be sad IMO.

Better to be 'sad' than sorry
Anyway my humble opinion will change nothing
Don't see the connection with no veils at all - we are talking Burqas which have a sinister look - veils do not
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 11:11 AM

The problem for us is the fact that we regard hiding your face with suspicion, almost to the point of regarding it as stigma, whereas in many countries, not necessarily Muslim countries, they obviously do not.

How Muslim Deaf people get around this problem I do not know but in the West there's always been this rather irrational fear of faces being hidden.

One thing that I have just read made me think though.

A woman in Italy - a Muslim - was stopped and fined for wearing a Burqa by the Carabinieri.

When interviewed by a journalist the woman actually said "I fear and love God"

I've heard other Muslims in the past saying the same thing and never thought about it.

Do others that believe in God but are not Muslims fear God too?

I've heard the term "God-fearing" but never thought of it before.

Centuries ago Muslims were often painted as God-fearing fanatics, hell-bent on killing all non-believers so is this Burqa controversy some kind of a throw-back to that? stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 11:37 AM

Some do fear God in Christianity too Steve, it really depends on your beliefs, mine are of a loving forgiving God so no fear needed if people believe in the Old Testament then I can well see why they would be afraid.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

24-05-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
[/B]
Better to be 'sad' than sorry
Anyway my humble opinion will change nothing
Don't see the connection with no veils at all - we are talking Burqas which have a sinister look - veils do not
The problem is the slippery slope idea, if they ban this then what would stop them banning other clothes ? where will it stop is how I see it.
Markey1
London
Markey1 is male  Markey1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 12:43 PM

The problem is the slippery slope idea, if they ban this then what would stop them banning other clothes ? where will it stop is how I see it.

So your happy for a man to tell a woman to wear , in many cases wearing a burga it the man of the household telling the woman to cover up ,
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-05-2015, 12:48 PM

I respect your post 'but' its silly notion all the same
Why on earth would it lead to a ban on other clothes - its 'obvious' why a ban would be worthwhile on this .........
I think secretly the women would want it too, because its all about control by the men
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Meg;656145]Religion plays no part in it for me, if I choose to wander around wrapped in a sheet with a tea cosy on my head I will I would not be harming anyone and it is no one else's business what I choose to wear . The same applies for me with the Burqa, the fact that it is being worn for religious reasons is irrelevant

It is precisely because I do not believe in any religion that I take this view, there is too much dictating to people what the can and can't wear.[/QUOTE]

Ah, but isn't that the question Meg? They already wear them because it is dictated to them.
I agree with plantman when he said it could free women who don't want to wear them, but are afraid not to.

Wasn't there a case a while back where someone expected to wear one while giving evidence in court? Totally wrong IMO.
I also seem to recall an outcry because a teacher in an English school, wanted her face covered. I don't agree with that either.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2015, 01:03 PM

no excuses needed here with burqa's ..they look dramatic and threatening #
its like us all wearing a balacava -and holding a conversation -or trying too 'mr cameron needs to look at the law it benefits us all ...like steve said -he couldnt read their lips ... and they wonder why we dont make more effort to converse.........

Page 4 of 15 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top