Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 10:50 AM

About Time!

This really is the answer to the nation's obesity problem and poor diet where the onus for such is taken up by the food suppliers themselves.

Vitamin D to be added to M&S bread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-3294192...PublicRSS20-sa

This is an incredibly important step in my opinion.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Re: About Time!

A lot of food is incredibly poor quality these days I was reading something the other day about the lack of vitamins in our fruit and veg compared to 50 years ago. I was wondering if that is key to why people are eating too much ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
A lot of food is incredibly poor quality these days I was reading something the other day about the lack of vitamins in our fruit and veg compared to 50 years ago. I was wondering if that is key to why people are eating too much ?
Dead right there as there are loads of cases where fat children allowed to eat rubbish all day are malnourished and suffering from malnutrition! Also hunger continues if a body is lacking in some nutrient compounding the issue if all you eat is crap.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 09:45 PM

see thread if only in hindsight!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
see thread if only in hindsight!
lol ...
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
This really is the answer to the nation's obesity problem and poor diet where the onus for such is taken up by the food suppliers themselves.

Vitamin D to be added to M&S bread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-3294192...PublicRSS20-sa

This is an incredibly important step in my opinion.
Adding Vitamin D may help with the apparent problems of rickets (caused by the culture of fear media generated skin cancer scare - unnecessarily exagerated) but it won't address the obesity problem! The only thing that will conquer that will be the nation's recognition of saturated fats and how to choose food which has less than 2% content! It's saturated fat which has put the ring around people's stomachs............. I will add that in the 1950's, fried eggs were practically drowning in fat; people ate dripping sandwiches and black pudding - diets then had a far greater fat content than now - there were very few obese people around then. But from the late 1950's "trans" fats and hydrogenated oils which contain trans fats were described as "not generally safe"............ It's this which increases LDL cholesterol and gives rise to the requirement for statins.
Look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
.... I will add that in the 1950's, fried eggs were practically drowning in fat; people ate dripping sandwiches and black pudding - diets then had a far greater fat content than now - there were very few obese people around then. But from the late 1950's "trans" fats and hydrogenated oils which contain trans fats were described as "not generally safe"............
Thank you for putting that sensibly and succinctly
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 11:29 PM

plus in the 50's we walked everywhere!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2015, 11:52 PM

I prefer to get my vitamins as naturally as possible TBH so sunshine is where I will get my Vit D.

Personally I wouldn't get too excited about any supermarket bread because they will all be loaded with additives, chemicals and enrichment products. As I have said on other threads, the ONLY ingredients needed for good healthy bread are:

Flour, Water, Yeast and a little salt plus plenty of TIME.

Making your own bread is infinitely more healthy than buying any supermarket bread whether it has added vitamins or not.

The nation's obesity problem is unlikely to be solved by anything as simple as bread. The solution requires 2 things imo:

1. A complete acceptance by the populous that they can NOT rely on anyone except themselves to properly research EVERYTHING they put into their mouths, and the willingness to do such research.

2. A complete re-hash of the food labelling laws such that all labels are complete, unambiguous and honest.

Sadly, item 2 is not going to happen any time soon because the large conglomerates who supply our foods (or their base ingredients) jointly run the world along with other corrupt powers. So they will continue to hide, mislead and mis-inform via food labelling in order to sell foods which suit their profit making enterprises.

Thus item 1 is what counts. We must take nothing for granted and make a conscious choice to eat natural foods and shun processed and unhealthy foods. Diets are a waste of time and simply do not work (as a permanent fix for weight problems). Only by making the choice to eat healthy natural foods can we return to a healthy weight.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

06-06-2015, 11:55 PM

you forgot 3. more exercise - or just any exercise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top