Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 06:48 AM

Re: About Time!

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I prefer to get my vitamins as naturally as possible TBH so sunshine is where I will get my Vit D.

Personally I wouldn't get too excited about any supermarket bread because they will all be loaded with additives, chemicals and enrichment products. As I have said on other threads, the ONLY ingredients needed for good healthy bread are:

Flour, Water, Yeast and a little salt plus plenty of TIME.

Making your own bread is infinitely more healthy than buying any supermarket bread whether it has added vitamins or not.

The nation's obesity problem is unlikely to be solved by anything as simple as bread. The solution requires 2 things imo:

1. A complete acceptance by the populous that they can NOT rely on anyone except themselves to properly research EVERYTHING they put into their mouths, and the willingness to do such research.

2. A complete re-hash of the food labelling laws such that all labels are complete, unambiguous and honest.

Sadly, item 2 is not going to happen any time soon because the large conglomerates who supply our foods (or their base ingredients) jointly run the world along with other corrupt powers. So they will continue to hide, mislead and mis-inform via food labelling in order to sell foods which suit their profit making enterprises.

Thus item 1 is what counts. We must take nothing for granted and make a conscious choice to eat natural foods and shun processed and unhealthy foods. Diets are a waste of time and simply do not work (as a permanent fix for weight problems). Only by making the choice to eat healthy natural foods can we return to a healthy weight.
Excellent post!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
you forgot 3. more exercise - or just any exercise
Very true - mind you - kneading bread is good exercise and very therapeutic!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 07:49 AM

you forgot 3. more exercise - or just any exercise
Personally I walk far more now than I've ever done before and some years ago I lost a huge amount of weight when I hardly got out of bed. Exercise does NOT make you loose weight. Walking a mile may burn off the same calories as a stick of celery. Exercise is excellent for getting fit and exercising the vital muscles, but it will not make you loose weight unless you're professional or extremely serious athlete.

Only by reducing the amount you eat to less than that your body requires, will you loose weight. BUT I am convinced that there are additives which are not only extremely bad for us but which make us crave more food. The other thing which seems obvious but none of us appear to acknowledge, is that portion sizes have increased in line with the sizes of people. The very simple answer is to eat only natural, fresh food and drink, avoid processed food at all costs and drastically reduce portion sizes.

None of that is made any easier as we've been convinced that all kinds of food "are good for us" and wholeheartedly swallow the marketing crap e.g. - we should eat four slices of bread a day! The only expression I agree with is "An apple a day...." but guess what? Apples have been engineered for sweetness and we now eat far more red apples than green. Adjust your tastebuds and learn to eat a crisp acidic Cox!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 08:59 AM

As I have said on other threads, the ONLY ingredients needed for good healthy bread are:

Flour, Water, Yeast and a little salt plus plenty of TIME.

Making your own bread is infinitely more healthy than buying any supermarket bread whether it has added vitamins or not.
What nourishment exactly is in that?
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 09:11 AM

plus in the 50's we walked everywhere!
Good point Gumbud.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2015, 09:32 AM

I prefer to get my vitamins as naturally as possible TBH so sunshine is where I will get my Vit D.
The nation's obesity problem is unlikely to be solved by anything as simple as bread. The solution requires 2 things imo:

1. A complete acceptance by the populous that they can NOT rely on anyone except themselves to properly research EVERYTHING they put into their mouths, and the willingness to do such research.

2. A complete re-hash of the food labelling laws such that all labels are complete, unambiguous and honest.

Sadly, item 2 is not going to happen any time soon because the large conglomerates who supply our foods (or their base ingredients) jointly run the world along with other corrupt powers. So they will continue to hide, mislead and mis-inform via food labelling in order to sell foods which suit their profit making enterprises.

Thus item 1 is what counts. We must take nothing for granted and make a conscious choice to eat natural foods and shun processed and unhealthy foods. Diets are a waste of time and simply do not work (as a permanent fix for weight problems). Only by making the choice to eat healthy natural foods can we return to a healthy weight.
Your Item 1 we have been doing for some time Realist.

Yes it takes time but once you get into the habit of it, and knowing what to look for we tend to steer clear of anything that we haven't checked out.

Yes, food labelling is a con and presented in a way that quite often confuses people but all the time that profits take precedence over quality and even food safety, nothing will happen.

There is an Item 3, as ST has already pointed out, and that's exercise and is vital yet many people tend to equate affluence or prosperity with gliding around in their cars rather than walking anywhere.

Watch how many people these days slouch over supermarket trolleys, using them as walking supports or watch them on escalators when, even if they are not obstructed by trolleys magnetised to the surface they do not walk!

It seems to be conditioned into people these days!

Watch any group of people of any age chatting and within 30 seconds at least one will be leaning against something as if simply standing is a real effort.

The lack of exercise these days is actually far more important than people realise.

I am still working part-time but my wife is retired.

She goes to a gym and that costs us £21 per month but it's well worth it!

Now the weather's better we go out for walks as often as possible - nothing strenuous but we take at least an hour and average 3 miles.

We do this after meals as it helps the digestion and we soon discovered that we actually eat less by doing this because walking on a full stomach isn't a good idea!

As for companies adding more things to food I don't agree with this.

Sorry but tinkering with the food we eat is partly the reason we got where we are now. stevmk2

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top