Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 10:24 PM

Re: The very best leader of the free world

I take it Donald Trumps, the great leveller.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2015, 10:49 PM

Wouldn't blame you, but just for a little pedantry…I don't think there is such a thing as Welsh citizenship, is there? Wouldn't you have to be British?

If my family was originally from Berwick Upon Tweed where exactly would I have to go and hide?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Always makes me giggle when someone refers to the US president as the 'leader of the free world'. He's not my leader, thanks very much!
Nor mine!

He certainly seems more honest than most. He would have to go some to be as corrupt and immoral as the Kennedy's anyway.

I suppose it is difficult to truly judge unless one lives under his government, but he cannot be that bad - he was re-elected - wasn't he? I lose track of american politics.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 06:58 AM

This is not about the country he is the leader of ... it's about the leader of the Free World !
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 10:04 AM

What exactly is the "Free World" nowadays?
It was fairly easy during the Cold War to distinguish between "The West" and "The Soviet Bloc" but what counts as "free" today?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
What exactly is the "Free World" nowadays?
It was fairly easy during the Cold War to distinguish between "The West" and "The Soviet Bloc" but what counts as "free" today?
I was wondering that too Mick,
I wasn't aware there was a 'free world' we are all to some extent constrained by the actions of others .
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I wasn't aware there was a 'free world' we are all to some extent constrained by the actions of others .
Agreed. And there is no such thing as a 'leader of the free world' either.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 12:15 PM

the best quote from a mod this year!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I don't know much about this Donald Trump chap, is he as funny as Donald Duck?, I always thought Ronald Reagan was a howl, this is one my favourite quotes from him "Government is not the solution, government is the problem" Boy they've had some real Turkeys for presidents over the years.
Ah thanks Jem
Funny yes - true ............yes, when Bush managed to top him many times
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 02:07 PM

Do you know what? I've racked my brain to think of one leader of any country, man or woman, that stands out as a shining example of a true leader of the free world, and try as I might, I quite honestly cannot think of one !!

Every leader that comes to mind I think, yes, he/she could be one of the greatest leaders, but just as quickly there comes to mind several faults associated with them that immediately rule them out, such as their words, deeds or actions during their leadership. whatever it is or was, it always ends with me thinking nope, they certainly do not deserve this accolade. Sorry.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top