Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 03:37 PM

Re: The very best leader of the free world

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I was wondering that too Mick,
I wasn't aware there was a 'free world' we are all to some extent constrained by the actions of others .
Maybe if we spent some time in North Korea we might have a better understanding of freedom.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Maybe if we spent some time in North Korea we might have a better understanding of freedom.
There are degrees of 'freedom' and some of us do not need to spend time anywhere to be aware that some of our freedoms as members of a nation have been curtailed and that there is no 'free world'. You only have to think about the EU to realise this...
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 03:49 PM

Just another reminder
This was supposed to be about President Barack Obama not about who else would make a good leader of the free world.
I am saying that he has been the best leader of western democracies since WW2.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Just another reminder
This was supposed to be about President Barack Obama not about who else would make a good leader of the free world.
You were making a statement then and wanted all to agree or not reply?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 05:05 PM

In my opinion President Barack Obama has been the very best leader of the free world since WW2.
Despite enduring more world turmoil since the Cuban missile crisis, he has remained solid and committed and has given hope and instilled confidence in most other countries and their leaders.
Sorry mate but I don't agree.

I do not like this title of Leader of the Free World as it pertains purely to the United States of America and in my book that does not necessarily mean The Free World, whatever that means.

As a British person, for me, Mr Obama seems to have done the job that he was expected to do but I have no real idea of how the people of the USA really feel about his presidency.

Saying Leader of the Free World implies full support to me.
Sorry Malc but I know nothing of his support in the USA and it actually means nothing to me living in the United Kingdom under a monarchy, administered by a government comprising of MPs that seem to mostly represent a class that is above me.

I think that since World War II we have had nothing but lack-lustre politicians or philanderers to the fore and we deserve far better. stevmk2
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 05:48 PM

Oh dear I despair can no one differentiate between POTUS and 'leader of the free world'
He is undoubtedly loved and loathed equally by the population of the USA but of his two roles on the world stage, I was asking for opinions on the latter.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 05:50 PM

threa
In my opinion President Barack Obama has been the very best leader of the free world since WW2.
Despite enduring more world turmoil since the Cuban missile crisis, he has remained solid and committed and has given hope and instilled confidence in most other countries and their leaders.
Just another reminder
Malcolm the thread title is The very best leader of the free world with no mention made of Obama . Then in your opening post you made a statement about who you consider to be the best leader. you didn't ask members 'what is your opinion of Obama'

Therefore I think it is perfectly reasonable for members to discuss who they may or may not consider to be the best leader of the free world assuming there is one.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

19-08-2015, 05:58 PM

threa

Malcolm the thread title is The very best leader of the free world with no mention made of Obama . Then in your opening post you made a statement about who you consider to be the best leader. you didn't ask members 'what is your opinion of Obama'

Therefore I think it is perfectly reasonable for members to discuss who they may or may not consider to be the best leader of the free world assuming there is one.
OK Meg....whatever you say
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2015, 07:07 PM

Beats me , still fail to understand what the free world is and more to the point fail to understand what a leader is. Obama has he been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Thought not, not even sure he has entitlement to be President of the USA and still it remains the question of some undesirable acquaintances.
What has he done, don't know as he seems a bit of a wet lettuce.

Churchill now was a real leader during WW2, he took over from a pm who would not go to war and he was a waste of space. So I am getting more confused what a leader is. Ghandi, was he a leader?
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2015, 02:15 AM

Malcolm the thread title is The very best leader of the free world with no mention made of Obama .
Then in your opening post you made a statement about who you consider to be the best leader.
you didn't ask members 'what is your opinion of Obama'

OK Meg....whatever you say
That was a somewhat churlish response to Meg's perfectly valid post, Malcolm. Sorry.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top