Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 09:14 AM

Our game plan

When we married in 1969, my husband was 22 and I was 19, we had worked out a game plan for our married life. Surprisingly enough, although there have been events which we couldn't have foreseen like my husband's brain haemorrhage in 2006, which has completely trashed the left side of his brain, much of our life together has gone as planned.

My husband is an academic and managed to attain the goals he set himself during his working life, he started his first job just after our wedding, and attained three of his four degrees once we were married. I am the home maker, which was fine as I had no interest in a career.

We planned to have three birth children, we had three girls. We also planned to adopt a child who was in need of a good home. We adopted two boys who are mentally disabled. The eldest, now 43, has moderate learning difficulties, the younger one (32) has Down's syndrome and has much more profound learning problems, he is the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet, he enhances the life of anyone whom he encounters. We also fostered a teenager with DS who stayed with us for nine years. I had my work cut out for me as raising the children was my task.

Apart from wishing my husband hadn't had his brain haemorrhage, there isn't much I would want change about our life. Our daughters have made us so proud, and we have five super grandchildren.

Have any members of this forum had a game plan when they were young, which they have managed to fulfil?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 09:21 AM

Re: Our game plan

We did have a vague plan that went hay wire about six months after we married and continued going wrong right up to today, only one thing we would change and that is our lovely Tasha mum to Gracie to not die. But other than that we are extremely lucky it did go wrong because it's been a wonderful ride never knowing what will happen next !
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 09:47 AM

Never had a game plan but if we had, I'm sorry to say it wouldn't have been fulfilled. Circumstances would have stepped in and stymied it.

Going with the flow and being able to act or react to life's fortunes is perhaps an equally good way to handle life as having a game plan to start with. Just as well we've been like that in our case.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Never had a game plan but if we had, I'm sorry to say it wouldn't have been fulfilled. Circumstances would have stepped in and stymied it.

Going with the flow and being able to act or react to life's fortunes is perhaps an equally good way to handle life as having a game plan to start with. Just as well we've been like that in our case.

Yes, I agree, Mart.
Not much good having a game plan if you can't handle it when things go wrong.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 10:09 AM

What's that about making plans but life gets in the way..?
We never had a plan, just went with the flow, dealt with things as and when they cropped up, we are a team and work well together, just bumbling along seems to suit us
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
What's that about making plans but life gets in the way..?
We never had a plan, just went with the flow, dealt with things as and when they cropped up, we are a team and work well together, just bumbling along seems to suit us
, Primus
Us to a T
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Spot on Mart. Circumstances and gremlins often get in the way of plans. In fact it's circumstances that have often prompted me to be impulsive and carry out certain plans that otherwise I would probably still be pondering about.

From being very young I planned on seeing Africa, I achieved that, West and East Africa. I've travelled in many parts of the world, often as a tourist, sometimes not as a tourist, found myself in some "odd" situations, but I'm still here. Lived in East Africa for almost 3 years, then moved to Spain, which is what Mr Clumsy and myself had planned on doing when we retired.
I only ever wanted one child, brought him up, almost 5 years on my own as a single parent. Made many new friends over the years, still have many of my old friends too, some who have also moved here, close by us, which is really nice.

Like everyone else, we've had bad times but the good times outweigh them. I've done things I never planned on doing and I've done things I planned on doing. So all in all I don't think I have too much to complain about. Life has been interesting and I hope it will continue to be so for some time yet.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 11:26 AM

They say.... ' the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry'!

I have never been a person to make plans, l am spontaneous and go with the flow.
I am so pleased my five children weren't planned, well the third one was!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 11:51 AM

Grandma often used to say "If you want to make God laugh, child, tell him your plans!"

She was right.

Nothing as coldly calculating as a game plan in our lives - just serendipity, a sense of fun and the enjoyment of watching life unfold.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-08-2017, 11:54 AM

No, no life plan. I just went with the flow.

Never met anyone who'd go on a date, let alone marry! (Ok, I had a few, right back many years ago). A miserable old spinster? Never!

So I made the most of a continued single life, and just got on with it. The only plan was to achieve a pilot's licence. Tick. Travel to far away countries (USA, Caribbean, Australia, New Zealand). Tick. Add Singapore to that list. Learn to drive. Tick.

My plan now is to be happy, so plans are in place for that. Another is to eventually sell my flat, move into sheltered housing, and get a campervan.

Oh. And get a dog!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top