Join for free
Page 10 of 21 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Re: Climate Change.

Originally Posted by galty ->
Of course it does as well as Scotland
Well, I'll just have to point south and north for alternate expulsions then.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Mind you, Ozone layers have not been mentioned for some while.
That's because the ban on chlorofluorocarbons in aerosols and fridges and other devices has had a huge effect on the environment. These "Frankenstein" compounds that are never found from a natural sources.

Chloroflurocarbon gas molecules are broken down by ultraviolet radiation after a period of time, many tens of years. Bit of a bugger when the CFC ban came in though.

Amongst other things back in the late 80's and 90's it was widely used in industry as a solvent including to degrease and wash really precision optical components and when the ban kicked in it really screwed up a program I was running!

The replacement was ---- problematic to say the least. And bloody inflammable too whereas CFC were not and that's why today most aerosol cans make good flamethrowers just because of the propellants now used in place of CFC's.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The concern is rate of change.
One thing that worries me, about temperature changes, is that the measuring devices were a lot less accurate, 150 years ago, than they are today.

Haven't seen enough thermometers, from that era, to know.

I do know that the many thermometers, in my abode, all seem to have different ideas as to what the temperature is!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 10:23 AM

I am no scientist but surely anything we 'create' on Earth was already there.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
True. But what's making things problematic is how we've altered their dormant state. For example, coal, oil and gas have been burnt which has changed how they have "interacted" for hundreds/millions of years having originally contributed towards a relative equilibrium.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I guess that in order to make any progress they have to push the boundaries and take people out of their comfort zones.

At the end of the day if there were no humans here the earth would go back to perfect balance. But as we are here, we cannot control the world but we can control what other humans do to damage it. It's not coffee cups or plastic bags, but laptops, mobile phones, alexas and other such nonsense that we did perfectly well without for centuries.

If you want to stop the damage then you have to reduce demand for all the "stuff" we consider necessary. That's the bit that's difficult for most people. Particularly when our whole affluent economy relies on the sale of stuff.

Lots of shops are closing already. If demand for things we don't really need goes down because we are making do with what we have got, a whole heap more will close and the jobs will go with them. So of course it's not going to be possible to implement much in the way of change. I don't think anything much will happen over the next ten to fifteen years, but there will be slow small changes.

I've been going on about the reliance we now have on powered items that we could perfectly well do without. All the wireless tech relies on being wired up somewhere and it's on all the time. The wireless tech junk falls apart (as it's meant to) so that we have to go replace it and then when we do go to replace it we find that you have to change the whole system (because that's how companies make profit). You can argue that it's better to have a kindle than to use paper books, but at least paper books last a whole lot longer than most machines and they don't need recharging. Plus you can read them on the beach, in the bath etc.

If there's one thing that's good about all this it's that it will hopefully put a big spanner in the AI revolution which we most certainly could do without!
One of your better posts l think AnnieS! Not that what l think matters.

Regards Donkeyman!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Not so. One classic example are CFC's - chlorofluorocarbons. These exotic materials, are only ever synthesised and were used extensively in aerosol cans and as a refrigerant gas but also other applications such as degreasing and other hi-tech cleaning products.

It was only when the ozone layer was found to be damaged that CFC's were traced to being responsible.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

07-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
One of your better posts l think AnnieS! Not that what l think matters.

Regards Donkeyman!
Ongoing and increasing Artificial Intelligence development is increasingly vital for more and more research and development into finding and providing solutions for problems that without the immense power of AI would remain insolvable. Solutions including but certainly in no way limited to creation of new treatments for illnesses including The Big C (and I don't mean the clap).

Data Processing is another area where huge advances continue to be made that vastly improve efficiency albeit with the occasional blip en route that reduces the need for people and increases profit margins by limiting stock holding sufficient to allow 'Just In Time' strategy to be implemented and stock holding over and above the bare minimum is lost money.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Not so. One classic example are CFC's - chlorofluorocarbons. These exotic materials, are only ever synthesised and were used extensively in aerosol cans and as a refrigerant gas but also other applications such as degreasing and other hi-tech cleaning products.

It was only when the ozone layer was found to be damaged that CFC's were traced to being responsible.
But what ever it is, unless we gathered it from outer space, it must have come from the earth, granted that it has been changed as Dex says.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Ongoing and increasing Artificial Intelligence development is increasingly vital for more and more research and development into finding and providing solutions for problems that without the immense power of AI would remain insolvable. Solutions including but certainly in no way limited to creation of new treatments for illnesses including The Big C (and I don't mean the clap).

Data Processing is another area where huge advances continue to be made that vastly improve efficiency albeit with the occasional blip en route that reduces the need for people and increases profit margins by limiting stock holding sufficient to allow 'Just In Time' strategy to be implemented and stock holding over and above the bare minimum is lost money.
I think you TTP Todgy! In one breath you advocate using AI to
save and extend human exsistence and in the other you talk about
using it to maximise profits and do away with the need for humans!

Regards aDonkeyman!

Page 10 of 21 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 20 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top