Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 03:26 PM

Re: Red squirrels Grey squirrels

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I could be wrong, Cinders, but I read something about this recently, and I believe it said that the sterility or infertility is reversible.

I wish I could find the article now, but I think they were experimenting by lacing the grey squirrels food/nuts with a chemical that made females infertile, but if they stopped lacing the food, their fertility returned after not too long.

I'll have to see if I can dig the article out and show you.
Could this be the article.

http://home.bt.com/news/news-extra/p...11364160007408
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 03:34 PM

A another reason why grey squirrels dominate is because they have a better memory!

https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/...-squirrels-eat

Red and grey squirrels will bury their food supplies, but it’s the grey squirrels that will always remember where they buried it. Red squirrels on the other hand are a little forgetful, giving grey squirrels the opportunity to steal their food …
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
A another reason why grey squirrels dominate is because they have a better memory!

https://www.lovethegarden.com/uk-en/...-squirrels-eat

Red and grey squirrels will bury their food supplies, but it’s the grey squirrels that will always remember where they buried it. Red squirrels on the other hand are a little forgetful, giving grey squirrels the opportunity to steal their food …
Maybe the greys watch where the reds bury nuts, and remove them
Immediately the reds bugger off?
Thus it looks like the reds cant find their nuts later in the year?
Also another reason for their survival superiority!
Which brings into question the greys ethics or lack of?
The theiving bastards!
Donkeyman!
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK

07-01-2020, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Maybe the greys watch where the reds bury nuts, and remove them
Immediately the reds bugger off?
Thus it looks like the reds cant find their nuts later in the year?
Also another reason for their survival superiority!
Which brings into question the greys ethics or lack of?
The theiving bastards!
Donkeyman!
They are simply opportunistic. Does seem a bit unfair, to pinch another's nuts.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
They are simply opportunistic. Does seem a bit unfair, to pinch another's nuts.
Yes Cinders, but for a squirrell to act like a banker??
I ask you??
Donkeman!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 07:31 PM

It was the greys that gave the reds squirrel pox, greys carry it but don't get ill, the pox killed most of the reds in the areas they were before,which is why people want to get rid of the greys. The greys are in most every area of Britain, the reds only in a few places now & this is because the conservationists keep the greys out where the reds are, but getting rid of greys won't necessarily mean the reds make a come back everywhere they were before.
I have seen reds on Brownsea island, they are beautiful animals, there are no greys there, it's an island & if one does try to get there it is immediately culled.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

07-01-2020, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It was the greys that gave the reds squirrel pox, greys carry it but don't get ill, the pox killed most of the greys in the areas they were before,which is why people want to get rid of them. The greys are in most every area of Britain, the reds only in a few places now & this is because the conservationists keep the greys out where the reds are, but getting rid of greys won't necessarily mean the reds make a come back everywhere they were before.
I have seen reds on Brownsea island, they are beautiful animals, there are no greys there, it's an island & if one does try to get there it is immediately culled.
By who Tiffy, l hope your not relying on uk border controls?

Donkeyman!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
By who Tiffy, l hope your not relying on uk border controls?

Donkeyman!
I have edited my post because it didn't make sense, the pox killed the reds not the greys, stupid me, read before you post Tiff.
The conservationists cull the greys in the areas we still have red squirrels.
Borders don't matter to the greys, they will sneak in if they can & they have, but Brownsea remains grey free, sadly it's a battle to stop hem getting into other areas not surrounded by sea. Though to eradicate them now they are here, in areas without reds, seems barbaric.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
We've got Calicivirus if you want to get rid of rabbits it is far more effective than Myxomatosis apparently.

We'd be very happy to get rid of all our rabbits, foxes, deer, feral pigs, feral cats, you're welcome to come and get as many as you want.
We still have Myxomatosis and it's rumoured that it's deliberately spread to get rid of the rabbits!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2020, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It was the greys that gave the reds squirrel pox, greys carry it but don't get ill, the pox killed most of the reds in the areas they were before,which is why people want to get rid of the greys. The greys are in most every area of Britain, the reds only in a few places now & this is because the conservationists keep the greys out where the reds are, but getting rid of greys won't necessarily mean the reds make a come back everywhere they were before.
Very pleased to say we have only red squirrels and if anyone is found trying to bring a grey over here (though no idea why they would), they be very heavily fined.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top