Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 06:42 PM

Re: Need some Advice Please.

Well if it is solid wood and you find some dinks in it, just leave them and polish over, it adds to the charm.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 07:16 PM

Whatever you do, if the table is very old or very valuable or precious, don't do anything without professional advice. It's very easy to damage the existing patina, which is built up over many years and is something you want to add to, not destroy.....

If in doubt then leave it be!
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 10:33 PM

The table in the picture looks like the outer edges are walnut not sure about the middle bit my first husband was a carpenter/cabinet maker and we used to use a product called antiwax it is specially formulated for old wood it cleans off built up wax and then you can repolish it another way of cleaning off dirt and any build up of wax is a mixture of vinegar and water but if the table is the same as the one in the picture I would be tempted to have it proffesionally restored as it is beautiful...Sue
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 11:32 PM

Cold tea will remove any old polish off furniture so I'm told. Good luck it will look lovely when it's got it's shine back.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 11:49 PM

The outer rim looks like walnut to me as well but, as has been said, the table in the picture looks like it's been french-polished, hence the gleam from the wood.

If it is plain wood, be it oak, teak, pine whatever, it isn't really meant to shine but should look natural.

I have an oak sideboard in my hall and all I do with that is wipe it down with a damp cloth, then use furniture polish on it. Natural wood looks much nice left to look natural.

However, if it is badly stained I would also use vinegar and water to clean it up.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2012, 11:54 PM

i would not have any idea how to restore the table, but if its like the one in your picture it is very beautiful.

Please post to let us know how you get on
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 12:19 AM

Raven, if you could take a photo of your table and put it on here, I'll send it to a young friend of mine who has recently finished University and is brilliant at restoring old furniture.

She'll definitely be able to give her best advice.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 11:13 AM

Couldn't get a proper pic of the whole table but a close up of one end lets you see the dullness.

This is the stuff I used yesterday and when it dried in I used a beeswax polish and a load of elbow grease.

Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

18-01-2012, 03:03 PM

I see what you mean. You may need a lot more beeswax and build up the layers, but I'll email the photo to my friend and see what she thinks.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 04:12 PM

Thankyou Mollie I'd be so gratefull....It's a beautiful old table and I love it. I just can't believe the condition it was in, you should have seen it a few weeks ago the top was almost grey.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top