Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 04:46 PM

Re: Need some Advice Please.

Hi Raven

I emailed your photo and I've had this response from her.

Hi Mollie,

i can't really tell from the picture what the timber is, it could be cherry, but it is usually a lot lighter and is more pink but it depends if there is a stain on it or not, from the picture it looks like it could be mahogany but i could be wrong,
as for the shine, assuming the finish is all okay and you want to just reviving i would just add a layer of wax leave it for 20 mins (or what ever it says on the tin) and the buff it up with a cloth,

sorry i can't be of any more help i would really need to see it to give you more help
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 05:28 PM

That's great thanks. Tonight I'll give it a good wash with the mix suggested on here and leave it to dry then I'll redo it in that Pledge Restorer, leave it again the next night, then I should have a good Wax Polish (Liberon Wax Polish) that I ordered online and I'll do as your friend suggested. Hope to be posting a pic of a shining table soon....get your sun glasses ready.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Hi again, what does the Pledge Restorer do? Does it make a seal? If yes, then maybe best not to use it as you want the wood to breathe and for the beeswax to be absorbed. Layer upon layer of beeswax (lovely smell) over many days.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Yes sorry but its hard work but well worth it.
White Raven
White Raven is female  White Raven has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by maryl ->
Hi again, what does the Pledge Restorer do? Does it make a seal? If yes, then maybe best not to use it as you want the wood to breathe and for the beeswax to be absorbed. Layer upon layer of beeswax (lovely smell) over many days.
It's meant to restore the colour and get rid of scratches, doesn't say anything about making a seal

This is what it says on the bottle besides the instrustions for using it.

Restore & revitalise
PledgeŽ Scratch & Colour Restorer is a unique blend of natural oils designed to cover scratches and restore colour, making tired furniture look new again.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Could be totally wrong of course but-
Looking at the photo and the scuffed edge it has appearance of a table top made from a light wood that may have been stained with a rosewood dye and given a coating of satin finish varnish or a stain varnish.(or is the light on the photo playing tricks!)
Scratch cover is good for small insignificant scratches but on larger areas it will have a dark dull finish.
If it has been dyed and varnished and the scuffing is back to bare wood, best thing may be to touch up with matching oil free dye and give an overall coat with high gloss varnish for a super shine or stain varnish for a simpler job if it has been varnished.
Clean all wax of first though.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2012, 11:53 AM

One part whit spirit, one part linseed oil and one part of vinegar.
Mix it well and apply with oooo wire wool, using small circles in 6 inch squares, and wipe off before proceeding to the next square.
That operation will clean off all old polish and dirt.
Then apply a coat of Briwax antique wax sparingly, and buff off until you have a good shine.
Always try a small area out of eyes view to see if you get the effect you want.
Good luck.
I did this on a Victorian mirror back sideboard 30+ years ago and we have never applied another coat, just a buff up now and again.
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 03:46 AM

Is yours a fadded out lacquer?
This table looks like it's lacquered.
It's a beautiful table. Myself, I would take something like this to a professional to be redone.
Do not know how much they would charge. You might give them a call and ask for a price area.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 08:36 AM

I recognise this table. It's a reproduction made in pine and stained to look old. They are on sale new in several outlets. I bought mine in a mill shop in York. I have the coffee table, the TV stand and the bookshelf. They don't have a shine on them from new, so if you want to give them a gloss finish you need to apply one. The easiest method is to strip any dirt, grease and old polish using spirit. Meths is good as it evaporates quickly without leaving a residue. Then buy a tin of french polish and follow the instructions on the bottle. It's not difficult, just time consuming. If you have any more questions just ask. I have a lot of experience with wood as I have been a joiner for 30 years.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2012, 05:54 PM

wow thats realy lovley

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top