Join for free
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 10:30 PM

Re: e-Scooters

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Which if deployed would result in surveillance society by just another means.
Yep.

It seems sensible to suggest that a surveillance system works most effectively if people are either aware of it taking place (hence high viz speeding cameras) or think it might be taking place (hence prominent cameras all around the place). Both of which are far more cost effective to maintain.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Yes my dear. You're absolutely right. Law abiding people certainly WILL "pay the price". Nothing more certain if they don't use every means at their disposal to fight back against the filth and that includes so called drones, ID cards, routinely armed police, and more.
Absolutely. It is already happening.

Yes, I agree with all of those and have said do before: ID cards, armed police and, yes, drones.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Absolutely. It is already happening.

Yes, I agree with all of those and have said do before: ID cards, armed police and, yes, drones.
As I am sure you will agree, based upon classroom experience, if you can control the majority via zero tolerance, then the big things don't tend to flare up too often and can be dealt with calmly and effectively when they do.

This is surely what micromanaged surveillance is about.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
As I am sure you will agree, based upon classroom experience, if you can control the majority via zero tolerance, then the big things don't tend to flare up too often and can be dealt with calmly and effectively when they do.

This is surely what micromanaged surveillance is about.
I agree. Unfortunately, we have nothing like 'zero tolerance' in this country.

Wasn't it a new mayor in New York who had that very idea?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2021, 11:33 PM

Please provide a alternative which won't bankrupt the country in terms of zillions of extra police.
A change in our government policy - they are there to ensure that the problems do not happen in the first place! Ridiculous that we should need extra police or stupid drones. If they hadn't made foolish cuts in the first place we would not be in the situation we are in ref policing. But it's a lack of a cohesive society with no shared norms and no shared values that is a problem.

It's nuts to think that the solution is more control when the problems won't go away no matter how many drones you let loose. Just innocent people will be affected by mass surveillance and crime will just go up you will see. Crime is not reduced by drones but people are irritated and stressed by big brother cultures.

I honestly can't believe that people who say they hate religion because of control think this is all ok. Delusion of some sort of freedom through more surveillance? Where has that worked out?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

27-06-2021, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
A change in our government policy - they are there to ensure that the problems do not happen in the first place! Ridiculous that we should need extra police or stupid drones. If they hadn't made foolish cuts in the first place we would not be in the situation we are in ref policing. But it's a lack of a cohesive society with no shared norms and no shared values that is a problem.

It's nuts to think that the solution is more control when the problems won't go away no matter how many drones you let loose. Just innocent people will be affected by mass surveillance and crime will just go up you will see. Crime is not reduced by drones but people are irritated and stressed by big brother cultures.

I honestly can't believe that people who say they hate religion because of control think this is all ok. Delusion of some sort of freedom through more surveillance? Where has that worked out?
You state that the lack of a cohesive society with shared norms is the problem. Why do you think that has happened over the relative recent past and how do you think it's possible to redress the problem?

The usual arguments on here tend to refer to lack of sufficient sentencing for offenders as well as allowing different minorities such as those caused by excessive immigration to rule the roost. Do you have alternative views and hence alternative solutions?

It seems pretty obvious that, like teacher/pupil ratios, there is a need for a police/member of society ratio which will vary the number of police required in accordance with population size (amongst many other parameters). This requires financing which, if the relative income and hence tax input per person drops due to eg increased expenditure on social welfare and pensions, is simply not viable.

So, if the relatively cheap method of using technology isn't the way forward, what is?

Of course nobody wants the invasion of privacy and big brother watching. But, unless you can reduce the number of criminals, there is no realistic alternative IMHO.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2021, 09:15 AM

It's great that you all believe that mass surveillance of the population will solve our crime problem. I don't agree but it's a subject for another thread. The sort of people doing these things are off the radar and will remain so. So a drone might follow someone but they still won't know who that person is. In the meantime we all get watched. Win:win? I don't think so.

Cracking down on e-scooters is happening in some places. It's not stopping people using them unofficially. Apparently you need a driving licence to use one. You're only allowed to use rented ones in areas that are trialing the mode of transport. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

27-06-2021, 10:32 AM

It's great that you all believe that mass surveillance of the population will solve our crime problem. I don't agree but it's a subject for another thread. The sort of people doing these things are off the radar and will remain so. So a drone might follow someone but they still won't know who that person is. In the meantime we all get watched. Win:win? I don't think so.

Cracking down on e-scooters is happening in some places. It's not stopping people using them unofficially. Apparently you need a driving licence to use one. You're only allowed to use rented ones in areas that are trialing the mode of transport. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617
The discussion has evolved, but remains related to the thread. Pity you ducked the question.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-06-2021, 11:02 AM

The discussion has evolved, but remains related to the thread. Pity you ducked the question.
It's not relevant to this thread and I don't want to derail it. It's too big a topic to remain relevant to e-scooters.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

27-06-2021, 11:09 AM

It's not relevant to this thread and I don't want to derail it. It's too big a topic to remain relevant to e-scooters.
OK. Have set up a thread if you want to join in.

Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top