Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:32 PM

Re: No alm in that

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
In my school it wouldn't have mattered whether I said 'alms' or 'Arms' the teacher would assume I was taking the mick and either questioned me further or clipped me round the ear.....
Quite right too OGF.

My school was one of the last to use corporal punishment. Naturally, behaviour tended to be pretty good which naturally led to less time being wasted in lessons.

One parent sent his son to the school fully armed with this knowledge of operational procedures. His son was given the cane and the parents then proceeded to take the school to court over the matter, which led to a cessation of corporal punishment (the writing was on the wall anyway, but this sped it up somewhat).

It often remains a mystery why people join a club or institution knowing the rules, and then complain when the rules are applied. Ho, hum.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:50 PM

Unfortunately not all teachers carry out the rules properly, some add their own.

After reading your reply to OGF...I was hit round the head once by a teacher..

Some teachers abide by the rules some don’t, in my day, he got away with it, he certainly wouldn’t these days...

Teachers are just that.

They are still human ,therefore no different to anyone else...you get good and bad in all professions..

Some stick by the rules some don’t...
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Unfortunately not all teachers carry out the rules properly, some add their own.

After reading your reply to OGF...I was hit round the head once by a teacher..

Some teachers abide by the rules some don’t, in my day, he got away with it, he certainly wouldn’t these days...

Teachers are just that.

They are still human ,therefore no different to anyone else...you get good and bad in all professions...
I like to think that I fell into the latter category
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 12:56 PM

Mr P told me of a time when the teachers regularly bounced the blackboard duster off pupils heads, (actually lobbed it from the front of the class to whoever happened to be in trouble!), or one teacher scooted his class keys along the floor of the corridor to make sure there was space in the middle for him to walk down. Woe betide anyone whose foot was in the way of the passage of those keys. They would be told to stop, cover the keys with their foot, and teacher stomped on the poor pupils foot to teach them not to be in the way!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
I like to think that I fell into the latter category

I do hope so..I bet you were strict?...but fair....you said “ bad”

I know you were joking...catching on to your humour..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

28-06-2021, 01:13 PM

Edited..read your post to quick,Dex.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 01:23 PM

Alms and arms would not be mistaken by a Scotsman...........:
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Quite right too OGF.

My school was one of the last to use corporal punishment. Naturally, behaviour tended to be pretty good which naturally led to less time being wasted in lessons.

One parent sent his son to the school fully armed with this knowledge of operational procedures. His son was given the cane and the parents then proceeded to take the school to court over the matter, which led to a cessation of corporal punishment (the writing was on the wall anyway, but this sped it up somewhat).

It often remains a mystery why people join a club or institution knowing the rules, and then complain when the rules are applied. Ho, hum.
That particular change has, in my opinion, resulted a downward trend in pupil behaviour at school and, as a consequence, a deterioration in educational standards.

Still, as always, the do-gooders know best.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2021, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by dextrous63 ->
i can confirm that that is the case. However, i think the word was said rather than written.

Suing the school is ott. But not asking the child what he meant was a (poor) oversight by the teacher.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top