Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Pipe and wire

How do you pull wire through piping. We are organising a self watering system in the car porch. The electric wires need to be protected with pipe. We have been pushing and pulling all morning and now the bit of string has snapped off the end.

OK DIY people where are we going wrong how should we be doing it? I am relying on you
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Re: Pipe and wire

Stronger string.
Make the end of the wire pointed (like you do with cotton and needle)
Talcum powder down the piping first or keep powdering as you are pulling.
Is the pipe big enough?
One do the pulling, the other the pushing.
If the pipe is a very long run, could you do it in sections?
Hope this is of some use..
Good luck
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 04:02 PM

Yup seems you are right in part. It appears that the wire needs to be showing through the coating so that you can actually make it pointed but for today we have had enough and are off to Morrisons who have a 15p of a litre of diesel sale.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Try something like polypropylene string, it will be stronger.
billpmadscot
New Member!
Bantry Ireland
billpmadscot is male 

28-02-2012, 05:08 PM

several methods but most effective is to tape wires individually staggered over a metre or so, add lots n lots of grease as in butter marg on tape then apply steady pressure on draw string, make sure wires do not enter pipe twisted, keep them flowing in the same order if that makes sense. might want to check diameter of pipe, may just be too small. If still stuck send me an email will try and help, was electrician in a past life, Bill
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 07:56 PM

There you go in the swim of things already. Do me a favout Billhow can I see if there are any Irish Forums going over there.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 10:50 PM

you need a snake get it from hard were store
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2012, 12:08 AM

Cate, I hate to be a party-pooper but, as you're dealing with electrics, you really ought to get a qualified electrician who has a Part P certificate (at the very least) that is up to date with 17th Edition Regulations. Bill will know what that means.

I've worked for an electrical engineering company for coming up to 29 years and it can really be dangerous lass to carry out any form of electrical work unless you're qualified.

If you would outline exactly what you're trying to achieve I will ask at work to give you the best advice. One of our guys has the qualifications Eng.Tech, LCIBSE, MIET, LCGI, but all of our electricians are qualified to the highest standards.

I may be over-compensating, but I'd rather give you advice than you do something which you may regret later on. Don't forget - unqualified electrics can cause fire.
billpmadscot
New Member!
Bantry Ireland
billpmadscot is male 

29-02-2012, 01:28 AM

Mollie is right cate, best to leave it to the pros, your job would not be mega money for an electrician, more difficult to get someone to take it on as it is small, but local firm should oblige. Haven't been able to find over 50s forums here yet but am trying silvercircle.ie , might be a good site, hope this helps, Bill
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

29-02-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Cate, I hate to be a party-pooper but, as you're dealing with electrics, you really ought to get a qualified electrician who has a Part P certificate (at the very least) that is up to date with 17th Edition Regulations. Bill will know what that means.

I've worked for an electrical engineering company for coming up to 29 years and it can really be dangerous lass to carry out any form of electrical work unless you're qualified.

If you would outline exactly what you're trying to achieve I will ask at work to give you the best advice. One of our guys has the qualifications Eng.Tech, LCIBSE, MIET, LCGI, but all of our electricians are qualified to the highest standards.

I may be over-compensating, but I'd rather give you advice than you do something which you may regret later on. Don't forget - unqualified electrics can cause fire.
Hubs is pretty competent as far as getting the wiring done up to the consumer unti. However then of course a qualified electrician will take over. There are lots of twists and turns on the piping and threading the wire throough the protective piping is just taking time.

No humans will be injured in this garden self watering scheme as it will be checked out. Fear not I shall not be frazzled and neither will the boss.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top