Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Re: Pipe and wire

Cate this may guide you, as he says Tape the joins in the cables before pulling through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8fmiGRLCs
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 09:24 PM

thats what jon used he wired homes
he calles it a snake
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Hubby used to call them Rats...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2012, 09:50 PM

I'm surprised no one has suggested using armoured cable, it is a tad more expensive than normal but you do not need to protect that with a pipe, terminating is also a bit more involved than normal cable but it's not rocket science, I would never suggest using an electrical contractor for a job like this, they may have qualifications but I've never known one who can do a decent and safe job, if you really don't know what you are doing then yes you have no choice but mostly this kind of thing is well within the scope of anyone who is prepared to read up a few basics.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2012, 12:26 AM

Job finished got two electricians in today who signed off on the job and conected the thing to the thingy and charged us £60 hubs is thrilled said it was cheap
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by billpmadscot ->
several methods but most effective is to tape wires individually staggered over a metre or so, add lots n lots of grease as in butter marg on tape then apply steady pressure on draw string, make sure wires do not enter pipe twisted, keep them flowing in the same order if that makes sense. might want to check diameter of pipe, may just be too small. If still stuck send me an email will try and help, was electrician in a past life, Bill
I know nothing of electricity but isn't grease and electric a no no?
Mlee
CA USA
Mlee is female  Mlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Job finished got two electricians in today who signed off on the job and conected the thing to the thingy and charged us £60 hubs is thrilled said it was cheap
Did you watch how they did it?
I am always in the way because I want to see how anything is done.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2012, 01:07 PM

Tell the truth they were done before I had put my specs on. I think they used one of those snake thingies. All changed now anyway decided that it would make this part of the house too warm so we are having polly tunnel instead. However this did not affect us needing power so the job was well done.

I am not a get in the way to see person, I know my strengths and weaknesses (been to enough job interviews) and DIY is not a strength. Give me a day or two and I'll tell you what is.
Mlee
CA USA

06-04-2012, 08:50 PM

HI Cookiecate,
I used to love DIY. Have done a lot inside and outside. But now I can not do nearly as much and I would love to be able to make a lot of changes.

Have to get up on the ladder just to clean my mirrors in the master bathroom and the next day I can't get out of bed because of pain in the spine.
Why in the world did they put such tall mirrors in the bathroom and WIDE?
Horrible it is. And that's not a LOL. (LOL)
derek davies
Buckinghamshire
derek davies is male 

06-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Feed a SINGLE wire through first, bend the first inch of the wire back on itself and clamp together with a pair of pliers, this gives a rounded end to the cable so that if there are any snags inside the pipe, the rounded end will overcome them. When you've got the single wire through, tie it around a stick or similar so that it does not get pulled back. Cut the other end of the wire to give you a foot or so to play with, trim the ends of all the wires so that there is about four inches of bare wire showing and make a substantial join in the single wire and the rest, by interlocking them and making a tight twist with pliers. thin enough to easily pass into the end of the conduit. While one person is carefully pulling the single cable in the garage, another person should be CAREFULLY feeding the cables into the other end trying to feed them in as neatly as possible, with each individual wire sliding in side by side and not twisted around each other. If done properly, as long as you have the right size conduit for the cables, they should go through with no problem
Derek
Retired electrical engineer

PS. If the cables seem a bit tight and the insulation is PVC, feeding them through a damp cloth sometimes helps. Under no circumstances should you put any undue strain on the cables.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top