Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Renting room(s) to others?

Has anyone here ever rent a room (or 2) to students (or others) in their home? Not been a 'landlord' renting a whole house, but living with you in your home. I have a larger than I need house with only one child (almost 21) living with me. I am planning on downsizing in about a year (or more depending on the market), but for now to help 'ends meet' I've been seriously thinking of renting out the 2 bedrooms on the lower lever (they'd have their own full bath and use of the family room where I don't like to spend much time anyways). Only 'sharing' would be the kitchen, plus they have to come and go through my front door.

I'd have to get together a 'room rental agreement' I know, but I'd like to hear any personal experiences others might have. I'm not looking at this as a 'forever' thing, but just to get me through the next year with some extra income.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Re: Renting room(s) to others?

One of my nieces is going through this at the moment with a flat share.

She is doing it through an agent now as she is recovering from a bad experience with sharing with a friend. Washing up not done, bathroom left in a mess, rubbish not put out etc etc.

Never rent to a friend if you want to stay friends lol

And best advice is to use an agent. Then everything is covered legally and you have a course of action, if things don't work out, that is professional.

Shop around for an agent though as their fees vary a lot.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
Never rent to a friend if you want to stay friends lol

We say that in the home daycare providing biz also.

When we first moved to this house, my neice lived with us but we had a great time. But... she put up with more than I think a rented roomer might.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Itr's not a bad idea ClaireMarie and can work really well, but like all letting there is a lot of luck involved in getting good tenants, so whatever you do take up references before anything is signed...(voice of past experience)...
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Regarding references - I know a paralegal who advises getting references not from their current landlord (who might give a bad tenant a good reference to be rid of them) but from ones previous to that.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2012, 07:10 PM

Be very careful Marie Claire, dont take in anybody get it all on a legal footing.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Yes a few years ago we was lanlords a few times reting houses out
you need a contract or a
they have to pay first last months rent
and give names but not relaves who you can contact like former land lords
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 04:18 PM

Perhaps rent out on a short term lease and see how you get along together.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 04:31 PM

As far as references go, would you know a genuine one from one written by a friend?

I've rented a few properties out over the years and you wouldn't believe the lengths some bad tenants will go to to find a new place.

Best to use a professional agent who has access to credit checks and bank references.

Besides which, if anything does go wrong, it's much better to deal with via a professional who is conversant with the landlord and tenants rights.

And then there is the question of your obligations as in getting a gas safety certificate and fire precautions and council permission to rent out. Then there is arrangements to be made regarding insurance and mortgage provider if you still have a mortgage.

If you don't want to use an agent, it would be a good idea to use one to set it all up.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2012, 06:33 PM

My neighbour take in foreign students, while they are studying
in Manchester.
She goes through an agency, who work with all Gt Manchester collages and universities.
She has been doing it for about 4 years. Not had a problem yet. They have come from China, France, Saudi, Portugal, Spain. She says boys are best. Girls are more untidy.

Good luck with what you decide.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top