Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 10:31 AM

Re: Value for money (window cleaning)

This is an interesting thread.
My OH is a window cleaner. Has been for the last 40 odd years. Does only commercial and industrial work now.

You guys who are quoting your prices ... keep your window cleaner, they sound very reasonable. Don't let them retire!
It's usual for a window cleaner to charge between 1.00-1.50 for a window. They just count the windows. A door is one window. A larger window, such as a lounge, they count as 2 windows.

Sadly the days of having a window round of houses isn't nearly as profitable as it used to be what with the cost of petrol and insurance (so you can claim if he accidentally damages your property). Yes.. you're entitled to and a good legit window cleaner should have Public Liability Cover.

And the Karcher window steam cleaner?
The minute my OH saw one he bought one to test it out.
One fault ... and only the one. If the windows are on the dry side when you use it you might notice later when the sun shines on them that they've left a line of faint tracks. But you'll spot that when using the thing if it feels like it drags on the glass at all.
Otherwise ... he now takes one with him to work! Fab. Takes out all the smears, streaks and elbow aching hardwork. And an absolute must if in winter you're like me and find your windows get covered with condensation over night.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
This is an interesting thread.
My OH is a window cleaner. Has been for the last 40 odd years. Does only commercial and industrial work now.

You guys who are quoting your prices ... keep your window cleaner, they sound very reasonable. Don't let them retire!
It's usual for a window cleaner to charge between 1.00-1.50 for a window. They just count the windows. A door is one window. A larger window, such as a lounge, they count as 2 windows.

Sadly the days of having a window round of houses isn't nearly as profitable as it used to be what with the cost of petrol and insurance (so you can claim if he accidentally damages your property). Yes.. you're entitled to and a good legit window cleaner should have Public Liability Cover.

And the Karcher window steam cleaner?
The minute my OH saw one he bought one to test it out.
One fault ... and only the one. If the windows are on the dry side when you use it you might notice later when the sun shines on them that they've left a line of faint tracks. But you'll spot that when using the thing if it feels like it drags on the glass at all.
Otherwise ... he now takes one with him to work! Fab. Takes out all the smears, streaks and elbow aching hardwork. And an absolute must if in winter you're like me and find your windows get covered with condensation over night.
Thanks Morticia I may try the Karcher one day

The window cleaner here has been working this area since I moved here 30 years ago. He now brings his son so hopefully he will take over when Dad retires
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 12:15 AM

I will continue with my window cleaner. He needs to earn a living and it's no easy job. Out in all weathers, dealing with obstacles to his job and dissatisfied customers.

Just as long as there are no "Confessions"
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 11:32 AM

You'd be amazed.
Well ... maybe not.
My OH did actually get an embarrassing peeps of a young unclithed lady having some afternoon fun with her boyfriend ... er, her husband had asked my OH to start cleaning the windows.

And once .. there was a mysterious one. Whilst cleaning an executives house (the inside windows) ... he spotted a load of blood stains on the stair carpet. The couple had a rather tempestuous relationship.
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 11:48 AM

i have seen the karcher window cleaner in action on the shopping channel and it does look good but its of no use to me as i would have to climb a ladder which i cant do to reach my windows outside...
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 12:53 PM

We have a nice bloke come and he charges us £8 for all of them.. thats really good I think as we have lots of windows as 2 of our bedrooms are dual aspect. So its back & front door, 9 windows & the patio door.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by dollie ->
i have seen the karcher window cleaner in action on the shopping channel and it does look good but its of no use to me as i would have to climb a ladder which i cant do to reach my windows outside...
Me too Dollie though I can use it inside and downstairs
Originally Posted by Cassie ->
We have a nice bloke come and he charges us £8 for all of them.. thats really good I think as we have lots of windows as 2 of our bedrooms are dual aspect. So its back & front door, 9 windows & the patio door.
That sounds good value Cassie
A couple of years ago I had an odd job man to clean the gutters on my semi detached house, a job which took about five minutes and certainly less than the time taken to clean the upstairs windows. He came from just up the road and charged £25.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2012, 09:14 PM

Our window cleaner charges £7 for 7 windows and front door and this includes a patio door too we think good value he also wipes the sills and doorstep too...
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2012, 09:07 AM

my window cleaner called this morning to see if i wanted them cleaned!!! weve had continual rain here for months so i told him not to bother as im not wasting money and for him to call back in the summer....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top