Join for free
Page 35 of 63 « First < 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 > Last »
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Re: Film - the most recent you have seen?

Went to see 'Testament of Youth' (the Vera Brittain film).
Beautiful photography, costumes and props. Very watchable but I felt it dragged towards the end.

My paternal grandfather's eldest bro died in the Etables field hospital (2nd May 1918) so that part of the film was of great interest.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 08:59 AM

I watched Eileen, the life and times of a serial killer. Classed as a film, but actually a documentary. One troubled, scary woman, but I found it fascinating. I love true stories.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Went to see 'Testament of Youth' (the Vera Brittain film).
Beautiful photography, costumes and props. Very watchable but I felt it dragged towards the end.

My paternal grandfather's eldest bro died in the Etables field hospital (2nd May 1918) so that part of the film was of great interest.
Is that new? (Big fan of her rather depressing book)
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Is that new? (Big fan of her rather depressing book)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441953/
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441953/
I have the book on my kindle and just about to start it, The film I will be watching on my way back to the UK in 3 weeks time . looking forward to both.
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 02:16 PM

I watched 'The Devils Double' on my laptop the other night.
A brilliant performance by Dominic Cooper as Saddam Husseins murderously insane son Uday and of course his political double Latif Yania. An insight into a world of truly evil people.
Not for the faint hearted
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Agent ->
I have the book on my kindle and just about to start it, The film I will be watching on my way back to the UK in 3 weeks time . looking forward to both.
Excellent book, enjoyed it immensely, though 'enjoyed' might not be the right word because it is a very intense and sad book marking the end of a world as people at the time knew it.

Vera Brittain herself is quite a fascinating woman she was involved with the Sackville Wests who were also an odd lot and very worth reading about too.

Her daughter was Shirley Williams

(I hope I spelt all the names correctly, if I didn't they are reasonably close)
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

11-03-2015, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Her daughter was Shirley Williams

(I hope I spelt all the names correctly, if I didn't they are reasonably close)
My late OH liked to tell me that Shirley Williams was shorter than me and had size 10 feet !!!

I never managed to spot her feet on TV, despite gluing myself to some seriously boring programmes
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 01:49 AM

My son and I went to see Kingsman last week. Brilliantly funny film. I cannot remember the last time I laughed out loud for so long my belly ached. Shall never be able to listen to the 1812 again without giggling! Young Welshman Taron Eggerton channeled his inner Michael Cain to perfection! Samuel Jackson lisped his way through it brilliantly, and Colin Firth was, Colin Firth. Can highly recommend it.

Also, have to say has some of the most amazing high speed perfectly crafted action/fight sequences I have ever seen. Almost 'balletic' in their perfection.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2015, 03:55 AM

We went to see The Second Best... yesterday and it was good fun - story a bit banal but saved by the great British actors AND Richard Gere. Great photography of India and the marriage ceremony and Bollywood dancing at the end was spirit lifting.

I look forward to seeing the new Testament to Youth arriving here.

Bruce - if that period of history interests you (as it does me) I can recommend two books that both my OH and I have just read. The Last Summer and The Great Silence both by Juliet Nicholson. First about the year before the outbreak of war and the other about the four years after the war. Both highly readable and well researched and ought to be made into documentaries.

http://www.amazon.com.au/s/ref=nb_sb...uliet+nicolson

Have just finished 'Margot at War' - the Asquiths in No 10 during the war. Also I have a very good history of the Sackville-West family - "Inheritance". We went to Knole a few years ago. As you may note. I am a bit obsessed with that period of history and its characters!

Page 35 of 63 « First < 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top