Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

05-10-2019, 11:12 PM

Re: EHIC Awareness

I see the HMRC have put up a notice on their website for people travelling on holidays to the EU if there is a No-Deal. Travellers will have to get travel insurance that includes Health Insurance cover in Europe.

But there is a problem.

Not only will travellers have to pay an arm and a leg for such travel / health insurance, but they will not be covered for pre-existing conditions. Granted, not everybody is going to have major pre-existing conditions, but many will. Over 50's are far more likely to have pre-existing conditions than people in their 20s and 30s.

If you end up collapsing on holiday due to a pre-existing condition, you run the risk of running up a bill in the thousands.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:20 PM

Just don't travel, there is no culture to see anymore, you see one beach, you see them all.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by AidoPotato ->
But there is a problem.

Not only will travellers have to pay an arm and a leg for such travel / health insurance, but they will not be covered for pre-existing conditions. Granted, not everybody is going to have major pre-existing conditions, but many will. Over 50's are far more likely to have pre-existing conditions than people in their 20s and 30s.

If you end up collapsing on holiday due to a pre-existing condition, you run the risk of running up a bill in the thousands.
You mean, if I have a heart condition, and go to a country with high temperatures on a vacation, and get (another) attack, I will have to re-imburse the costs to my insurance?
Because that is what happens. Upon arrival in the foreign hospital you are cared for. The hospital bills your insurance, who pays the hospital. Upon checking the insurance company finds out about the pre-existing conditions (they have access to your medical record), decides they are not liable, and send you the bill.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2019, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Just don't travel, there is no culture to see anymore, you see one beach, you see them all.
Like you visit one shopping centre, you've seen them all? All the same shops from the same retail chains.
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

05-10-2019, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
You mean, if I have a heart condition, and go to a country with high temperatures on a vacation, and get (another) attack, I will have to re-imburse the costs to my insurance?
Because that is what happens. Upon arrival in the foreign hospital you are cared for. The hospital bills your insurance, who pays the hospital. Upon checking the insurance company finds out about the pre-existing conditions (they have access to your medical record), decides they are not liable, and send you the bill.
Nail on the head

When Private Health Insurance companies receive a claim from the hospital their claims processing and medical board reassess the claim and a thorough check is done on your medical history. If there is even the slightest bit of an indication that treatment / procedure you underwent abroad was for a condition you had prior to taking out the holiday insurance the Private Health Insurance company are not paying. No chance in hell.

The bill falls right into the lap of the patient, and if it is inpatient care it is going to be absolutely massive. If there is a No-Deal absolutely FORGET going to America
AidoPotato
UK
AidoPotato is male 

05-10-2019, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
There's always Blackpool. Maybe a No-Deal Brexit will bring Blackpool back to it's hay day, and what...with global warming, British people can be guaranteed of raging hot Summers
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Nail on the head

When Private Health Insurance companies receive a claim from the hospital their claims processing and medical board reassess the claim and a thorough check is done on your medical history. If there is even the slightest bit of an indication that treatment / procedure you underwent abroad was for a condition you had prior to taking out the holiday insurance the Private Health Insurance company are not paying. No chance in hell.

The bill falls right into the lap of the patient, and if it is inpatient care it is going to be absolutely massive. If there is a No-Deal absolutely FORGET going to America
If you state the pre existing condition and they accept this ( this will mean a rise in the premiums ) they will or at least should pay .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 08:51 AM

I see the HMRC have put up a notice on their website for people travelling on holidays to the EU if there is a No-Deal. Travellers will have to get travel insurance that includes Health Insurance cover in Europe.

But there is a problem.

Can you please provide a LINK.

I'd be interest to know if we will "have to get ...", or if we are "advised to get travel insurance". If the latter, then there's nothing new there.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 09:37 AM

Why should an insurance company pay to treat a pre-existing medical condition if you are stupid enough to go to an environment or undertake an activity that will trigger or exasperate that condition?

They don't insure stupidity.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 12:58 PM

... anyway, it's Portugal I'm going to, and this is what Gov.UK says ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/p...f-uk-nationals

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top