Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 01:47 PM

No Cash Payments

I have just been notified that a nearby cook school will only be accepting debit or credit card payments in its shop and cafe.

To date, there have been mixed feelings about the decision. Your thoughts, please.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 02:36 PM

Re: No Cash Payments

I can see this will be happening more and over the coming months/ years. I have seen people paying for small cheap items by card. Even coffee shops in garden centres are taking card payments for very small amounts. I only carry my cards with me. No cash at all.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 02:37 PM

So people who for one reason or another don’t have cards what’s the answer ?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 04:35 PM

Get cards or carry cash and hope for the best.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 04:38 PM

At the moment I think it's a damned good idea to pay for as much as possible with a debit or credit card so no-one has to handle actual, potentially bug-ridden money. Just make sure you pay off your credit card balance at the end of the month.
Susan68
Up North, UK
Susan68 is female  Susan68 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
I have just been notified that a nearby cook school will only be accepting debit or credit card payments in its shop and cafe.

To date, there have been mixed feelings about the decision. Your thoughts, please.
fair enough in shops they have computers etc but how do I pay my window cleaner and gardener who usually want cash (plus a tip!)

what about smaller purchases ..like when you just call in the local shop for a newspaper and a pint of milk while your walking the dog. Not everybody likes to have to carry their cards everywhere.
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 04:41 PM

Just returned from Tesco and the self scan machines are not accepting cash. On the other hand, called into a local restaurant to purchase a gift voucher and the staff are handling food and money without gloves!
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->

There is one smallish local sell-it-all shop in my area where all the prices are cash only and card sales attract a 2.5% surcharge. When I asked why this was, the reply came "that is what they charge me per card transaction" so I guess the shops who take card payments have already added the charges to the price charged. To be fair to the local trader, he is the most competitive outlet around my area.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Susan68 ->
fair enough in shops they have computers etc but how do I pay my window cleaner and gardener who usually want cash (plus a tip!)

what about smaller purchases ..like when you just call in the local shop for a newspaper and a pint of milk while your walking the dog. Not everybody likes to have to carry their cards everywhere.

Good point, Susan. My window cleaner is paid in cash as well.
And what about Charities like the Poppy appeal and Sally Army etc where you drops some coins in their tin?

Also, some shops round here won't accept cards for small items like a newspsaper.

One thing though - bang go there Christmas boxes.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
So people who for one reason or another don’t have cards what’s the answer ?
Starvation!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top