Join for free
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 05:28 PM

YOUR Desert Island Discs

During this time of self-isolation, I thought it would be interesting to contemplate our choices .....

Guests are invited to imagine themselves cast away on a desert island, and choose eight recordings, originally gramophone records, to take with them. Guests are also automatically given the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work. They are then prompted to select a third book to accompany them. Guests also choose one luxury, which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside.

Who would like to be our first guest?
Matchu
Scarborough
Matchu is male  Matchu has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2020, 06:45 PM

Re: YOUR Desert Island Discs

Last Tango: Welcome Matchu!

Matchu: Hello Last Tango. How delightful to meet you at last. You smell divine [gurgle]...

LT: You have achieved so much in your lifetime...I...

Matchu: If we might cut to the chase, babes, there's a rock concert with celebrities on telly in ten...

My songs:

1. Bach (greatest hits)
2. The Gladiators, Hello Carol.
3. Blueberry Hill
4. Bad Penny Blues
5. Something by that creepy guy died in the Blitz. The Very Thought of You
6. Dry Stone Walls Gordon Bok
7. Ballad of Timothy Evans Ewan McColl
8 Along the Pier/Dreadnought from National Geographic Songs & Sounds of the Sea.

A 'dirty book' by Anais Nin & a Venus figurine object.

xx
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Last Tango ->
During this time of self-isolation, I thought it would be interesting to contemplate our choices .....

Guests are invited to imagine themselves cast away on a desert island, and choose eight recordings, originally gramophone records, to take with them. Guests are also automatically given the Complete Works of Shakespeare and either the Bible or another appropriate religious or philosophical work. They are then prompted to select a third book to accompany them. Guests also choose one luxury, which must be inanimate and of no use in escaping the island or allowing communication from outside.

Who would like to be our first guest?
Good Morning Last Tango!
I had to sleep on this one, finally I managed to make my mind up!

1. My Sweet Lord - George Harrison

2. Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks

3. Sheena Is a Punk Rocker - Ramones

4. Greensleeves - I still haven't decided on the recording.

5. Clash City Rockers - The Clash

6. We're All Alone - Rita Coolidge

7. Whiter Shade of Pale - Procol Harum

8. Allegri; Miserere - Palestrina

The third book would probably have to be something by Ray Mears given the circumstances .

As for luxury, a crate of top quality incense, none of those " rough and ready" joss sticks from the pound shops.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2020, 12:24 PM

The Who - Tommy
The Who - Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Bjork - Vespertime
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Jimmy Hendrix - Are You Experienced
Doors - The Doors
Dylan - Self Portrait.

I don't want Shakespeare and certainly not any "holy" book but Illuminatus! by Shea and Wilson would be fun as would the works of Machiavelli in place of Shakespeare and The Art of War by Sunzi would make for light reading.

Luxury item? A Gerber Bear Grylls Basic Survival Kit (with a few good weed seeds snuck inside the tin!)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 01:28 PM

Beethoven's fifth

Rodrigo's guitar concerto

Don't look Back (Boston - extended version)

Oliver's Army (Elvis Costello)

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Nessun Dorma (Pavarotti)

Albatross (Fleetwood Mac)

Israelites (Desmond Decker)

Book: War & Peace (Tolstoy)

Luxury item. A radio
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Beethoven's fifth

Rodrigo's guitar concerto

Don't look Back (Boston - extended version)

Oliver's Army (Elvis Costello)

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Nessun Dorma (Pavarotti)

Albatross (Fleetwood Mac)

Israelites (Desmond Decker)

Book: War & Peace (Tolstoy)

Luxury item. A radio
Natasha Rostova survives her attempt to top herself and ultimately marries Pierre.

They have four kids.

BTW - Desmond Decker is actually complaining that his ears are on fire. Norralorra people know that!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2020, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Natasha Rostova survives her attempt to top herself and ultimately marries Pierre.

They have four kids.

BTW - Desmond Decker is actually complaining that his ears are on fire. Norralorra people know that!
I'm happy with my ears are alight

As for War & Peace, I admit to skipping over the war parts a little bit, so I could read those bits properly. Of course,I would prefer to have Lily James with me, then there would be no reason to escape.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top